Eddypeck's '86 GTI Lunchbreak Project - OEM dial set to 11

Come and show off your ride here!!
eddypeck
Supercharged
Drives: 1986 MK2 Golf GTI 8v

Eddypeck's '86 GTI Lunchbreak Project - OEM dial set to 11

Postby eddypeck » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:09 pm

So thought it's time to start my own thread. This could turn out to be the longest running thread in the history of the internet as I'm in no immediate rush to restore the old girl but lets see...

Quick intro:
Back in the late 90's I treated myself to a Golf GTi, I didn't know what I had at the time but I think it was a genuine GTi Engineering one, which explains why after 18 months of ownership I'd lost my license. I loved the car but it brought a bit too much attention so I moved over to BMW.

And here we are, about 15 years later heading towards a mid-life crisis and wanting a second chance with what I fondly refer to as my Eleanor (as in Gone in 60 seconds).

I've been watching various ones come and go on ebay and the like for a year or so, some have been too far away, many have been too dear, other have just been not quite right.

Then eventually "the one" shows up on ebay. Small bumper, early model in White. Apart from the Reg (and the lack of GTi Engineering) an almost identical car. As original and standard as I could hope to find.

And here it is, these are the original photos from the eBay ad that I bought it based on:

Last edited by eddypeck on Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:26 am, edited 58 times in total.
0 x

eddypeck
Supercharged

Re: Eddypecks, 1986 3dr GTi 8v Alpine White

Postby eddypeck » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:27 pm

The story so far:

The guy selling it had bought it about a year ago as a non-runner with the best intention of fixing it up. The last tax disc was 2010 so I gather it had been stood for a little while previously. He fitted a new fuel pump and got it running and did a few other bits and bobs, as required to get it through an MOT.

He didn't tax it as intended to continue working on it, but just never started. So as the year comes to an end he decides to have a clear out. He has another anyway that he's going to concentrate on as he's not so keen on white (It white or not at all for me - each to there own!) so on ebay it goes.

A few emails back and forward and I find out he's put it in for an MOT and just failed on coil spring. He says if bidding reaches £500 he'll do spring and MOT it. Obviously other bidders weren't aware of this so I'm at an advantage. I'm more than happy to pay £500 for a car like this with 12 months test.

He's also made a few errors in the listing, marked as a 5 door and took crap photos so I don't think this car got the coverage it should have done - again to my advantage. I know some of you on here spotted it though.

I end up winning it for £400, so agreed to honor the £500 if he puts it through the test.

On Saturday, June 1st 2013 I get a lift from North Bristol up to Rugby with the intention of driving it home.

On getting there I see there's a bit more rust than I hoped, his carefully selected photos and "brief" description had overlooked a few key areas, but oh well. It's still exactly what I want and it would have had to have been a real heap for me to walk away at that point.

I part with my £500, no quibble and drive it round to the nearest petrol station ready for the drive home.

Engine runs so sweet, handling is spot on, gas and clutch pedals feel great - brakes a bit poor, but after clearing some of the surface rust begin to respond a bit better - would still benefit from some attention though.

I drive home with my son on board - it was a major victory to get him out of the bedroom and away from his xbox - both of us with stupid big grins on our faces:

Last edited by eddypeck on Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

eddypeck
Supercharged

Postby eddypeck » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:35 pm

So, for the first week I drive it around a bit, take it to work a few days and do nothing else. And now the jobs begin:

Bosch Oil filter fitted and 5 litres of fully synthetic 5/40w. The old oil was about as thin as water so glad to see the back of that.
Popping open the air box discover an ITG foam filter - interesting!

Looking underneath there's quite a lot of surface rust but nothing looks too bad. Front brace and front engine mount look the worse so might be just as well replacing those at some point. Sub-frame might be OK with a wire brush and some paint but if I come by one I might replace it one day.

Font wings, front valance and tailgate are highest priority on my shopping list.
0 x

eddypeck
Supercharged

Postby eddypeck » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:53 pm

What I've discovered so far:

According to rubjonny, was built in Wolfsburg factory, Germany sometime in early October 1986, and by some clever math and deductions he came up with the following for me :lol no:

"was built sometime in October 1986. Production started at VIN 234017 and ended with 364004 in that month, so it'll have been pretty early in the month.

It works out at around 4193 cars a month so assuming that was the case it should have been finished on the 1st of October, which was a Wednesday."

Which kind of fits with the first reg in UK date of 17th November 1986.

Options label states came with steel wheels although now Pirelli P slots are now fitted, complete with centre caps, although they appear not to all match so I gather the full set has been collected over time.

It has power steering which I gather was a paid for optional extra.

Italvolanti 4 button Volkswagen Motorsports steering wheel is fitted, leather is a bit cracked but I've started to treat it with some restorer, hopefully over time I can get it back to a reasonable state. Not sure if this was added as an optional extra from the dealer or if it has been added later.

Apart from that it's all original and standard, no speaker holes in parcel shelf, headlining is perfect, drivers bolster has gone, but not too bad! I'm on the lookout for a red stripe passenger seat for donor cloth - just missed out on one on ebay as I was in a field at Volksfeast bidding over 3G on my mobile. Not knowing how successful it was going to be I bid too early and was gazumped in the final 3 seconds.

[Edit 04-07-2013 / updated 12-09-13]
Update on the sticker, most of the codes now identified:

NG9 -
197 45 Amp Battery - I've since put this on into question as on the purchase of a new battery I discovered based on the VIN that it should have come from VW with a 65 Amp Battery
403 Steel rim, 6Jx14H2 ET38 - Golf GTI/Jetta GT
409 Sports Seats
560 Steel sliding roof, manual control
643 Tray position in the doors (door bins)
656 Front seat with height adjustment, driver side
731 -
930 Inside adjustable exterior mirrors

Engine Code:
EV
kw 82
hp 112
ltr 1.80
cyl 4
period 01/84 – 07/87

Paint:
[url]
http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedi ... ne%20White[/url]
L90E
1987 Alpine White - Ditzler PPG(3023) - Dupont(45601)
Last edited by eddypeck on Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:31 am, edited 6 times in total.
0 x

Damien.wrl
Site Admin
Drives: an armchair

Postby Damien.wrl » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:01 pm

Didn't see you Sunday, friend of mine DaleR32 has a rear bench red stripe which he wants about 20 for if you need material? Postage would be cheaper for just the cloth.
0 x

1988 Alpine White 35k mile OCD MK2 GTi ".................. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=128

eddypeck
Supercharged

Postby eddypeck » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:08 pm

Damien.wrl wrote:Didn't see you Sunday....

No, ended up down there on Saturday so missed everyone - darn, would have loved to have seen your's up close.

Damien.wrl wrote:...friend of mine DaleR32 has a rear bench red stripe which he wants about 20 for if you need material? Postage would be cheaper for just the cloth.

Ideally I'm after a front passenger seat as a donor to repair the drivers seat without too much effort. No point trying to get a drivers seat as they'll all be as bad if not worse. If all else fails I'm considering putting my seamstress skills to the test in which case I'll need a full set of covers to dismantle to make patterns from. It's my birthday Saturday and my misses has already let slip she's getting me a sewing machine :D very macho :bout ye:
Last edited by eddypeck on Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

butler
VAG Rat

Postby butler » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:05 pm

Nice car, how far are you wanting to restore it...?
0 x

sp8y
OEM+
Drives: 1987 & 1990 GTI

Postby sp8y » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:56 pm

Looks like a good project you have there, saw it at volksfest as I was walking by and took a quick snap of it. 8-)
0 x

eddypeck
Supercharged

Postby eddypeck » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:00 pm

sp8y wrote:Looks like a good project you have there, saw it at volksfest as I was walking by and took a quick snap of it. 8-)

All parked on it's own - billy no mates :lol: post it up!
0 x

sp8y
OEM+
Drives: 1987 & 1990 GTI

Postby sp8y » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:21 pm

:lol: here it is, please say its your car lol

0 x

Return to “Members Rides”