! Message from: vw-widow
Due to technically issues with this forum, we have created a new fresher looking forum - we are asking all members to register on https://www.vwgolfmk2.co.uk/clubforum sorry for any inconvenience.

If your a paid member, once you have registered, pm vw-widow with your details, and you will be re-instated.

Build threads etc can be copied and pasted to the new site, sadly we couldn't merge the database.

This site will close on the 1st June 2020. All data will be deleted.
Thanks Admin

sicklyorange's D-reg 16v daily - brake problem 12/09/19

Come and show off your ride here!!
sicklyorange
VW Bug
Drives: D-reg 16v

sicklyorange's D-reg 16v daily - brake problem 12/09/19

Postby sicklyorange » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:46 pm

It's about time I got some build diary of my car on here for my own records and because Chris (Oakgreen16v) keeps telling me to....

A bit of history:

The car was originally an F-reg given to me by my step brother.
He was the second owner and it was totally unmodified - luckily he kept it that way. He was the type who always had it serviced by a garage (he wasn't too mechanically minded) and when there was a problem with the engine, the garage took it to TSR. When he settled down (with his now missus) he offered me the car as he wasn't using it. I initially declined it as I was, and still am, into my minis and couldn't take another car on. When the car was vandalised he said I either take it or the car gets scrapped! So I took it, replaced the bits that had been damaged - rear screen, driver's side front and rear glass and started using it as my daily. This was about 8 years ago.

Fast forward to 2008 and the car was starting to get a little rusty here and there. Once I started delving it was much worse than I realised...

Yikes!

Worse than it looks

Just nasty bits here there and everywhere which was a pity as the interior was fantastic, mechanically it was sound and, of course, it had the TSR engine...
Last edited by sicklyorange on Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:15 pm, edited 22 times in total.
0 x
D-Reg VW Golf GTi K-Jet 16v TSR Jade green
Minis

MikeyGordon
VAG Monkey
Drives: Mk2 GTi 16v

Re: sicklyorange's D-reg 16v

Postby MikeyGordon » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:58 pm

A few nasty bits but Im sure it could be patched up by someone handy with a welder. Whats your plans for it then?
0 x
88 MK2 GTI 16v, Helios Blue, Small Bumper - Soon to be 20vt!!
Corrado 20vt - Daily weapon of choice.
BMW 525d Touring - Looking to sell to fund a mk5 GTI

sicklyorange
VW Bug

Postby sicklyorange » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:06 pm

....so I thought a re-shell would be a little easier to cope with rather than messing around with all the welding that was necessary. I was chatting to Chris about my dilemma when he told me he had a good D-reg 16 valve shell he wanted to get rid of.

Bingo!

So I went down to his to have a look

Jetex full st/st system came with it...

...and full interior. in fact the only things it did not have was an engine and front panel/grille.

Well I was a happy bunny and said I'd pick it up a couple of weeks later...
Last edited by sicklyorange on Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Minis

sicklyorange
VW Bug

Postby sicklyorange » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:11 pm

MikeyGordon wrote:A few nasty bits but Im sure it could be patched up by someone handy with a welder. Whats your plans for it then?

No, it was riddled with rust - those are the only photos I have on this computer. The rear inner arches were rotten, around the filler cap, front off-side inner arch had been repaired and was now starting to rot. It was just patch after patch after patch...

The car is actually now 99.9% finished, I'd just never got round to putting it up on here
0 x
Minis

MikeyGordon
VAG Monkey
Drives: Mk2 GTi 16v

Postby MikeyGordon » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:14 pm

I see I jumped the gun a bit with my comment haha. New shell looks nice and clean and a pretty cool colour as well.
0 x
88 MK2 GTI 16v, Helios Blue, Small Bumper - Soon to be 20vt!!
Corrado 20vt - Daily weapon of choice.
BMW 525d Touring - Looking to sell to fund a mk5 GTI

Damien.wrl
Site Admin
Drives: an armchair

Postby Damien.wrl » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:24 pm

The blue shell looks really good, will be great with a little tlc
0 x

1988 Alpine White 35k mile OCD MK2 GTi ".................. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=128

sicklyorange
VW Bug

Postby sicklyorange » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:14 pm

Aaaah, glad you like the colour fellas.

pity it was resprayed jade green :silent:
0 x
Minis

macmillions
Fuel-Injected

Postby macmillions » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:30 pm

Ah, so this is what happened to Chris' Monza Blue!
I knew he sold it to you, however I had idea it was reshelled for your existing car that was rotten!

As much as i love the Monza Blue (in fact I have said I would most likely never buy another mk2, unless a Monza Blue came up for a price I couldn't resist), the Jade Green is a superb colour and it's nice you kept it the "original" colour. Also glad to hear Chris's Monza Blue is still going, in spirit. :)
0 x

'90 Mk2 Golf GL running R32 Power. 'Gumpert'
'88 Tornado Red Mk2 Golf 1.8 16valve GTI. 'Hollie' - Winner of Best Mk2 GTI at the 2014 & 2017 National Meet

sicklyorange
VW Bug

Postby sicklyorange » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:19 pm

Little purchase from TSR at GTi International before they decided to up the price by about £100:
It matched up nicely with the full stainless Jetex system that came with the car
The exhaust wrap was a bit of a bugger to fit and I know it can be a Marmite subject but I went with it.

Later type doors were sourced and resprayed:
I still have the original early doors from the monza shell but think as an every day car, the close proximity of mirrors may be a little annoying. I may get them sprayed and reinstate them at a later date.
I used the doors as Guinea pigs to see if the garage doing the respray would be any good - I was impressed:

Ahhh, the latest arrival to the sicklyorange household...

F-reg sat sulking in the garage, me when I had hair (ahem!)
So, it went away for a while until there was space at the garage where it was going to get its respray and the TSR engine swapped over from the F-reg car.

In the meantime...
Charcoal grey & diamond cut BBS as original F-reg
I had 8 of these wheels so they could pick the best ones! Bit dusty but I love the holographic effect of the diamond cut

I wished I'd done a before shot on these, they were a hell of a mess:
Again, I had a number to chose from. Took me a while to do!
They still needed a bit of a polish after this shot was taken but I can't find any 'final' shots
0 x
Minis

TeeTee
Dub Ninja
Drives: 1987 Golf GTI 8v

Postby TeeTee » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:14 pm

This looks really good. Looking forward to seeing more...
0 x

Return to “Members Rides”