! Message from: vw-widow
Due to technically issues with this forum, we have created a new fresher looking forum - we are asking all members to register on https://www.vwgolfmk2.co.uk/clubforum sorry for any inconvenience.

If your a paid member, once you have registered, pm vw-widow with your details, and you will be re-instated.

Build threads etc can be copied and pasted to the new site, sadly we couldn't merge the database.

This site will close on the 1st June 2020. All data will be deleted.
Thanks Admin

Eddypecks forth installment - Lucy

Come and show off your ride here!!
eddypeck
Supercharged
Drives: 1991 MK2 Golf GTI 8v

Eddypecks forth installment - Lucy

Postby eddypeck » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:26 pm

If you're on Facebook which most of you are you'll know this already, so here you have it, after just less than 3 years I'm back in a mk2 and I think I've found myself a bit of a peach for them money. Not perfect, but good in the right places (i.e. the shell and paint) which as we all know is the important bit these days.

I didn't set out for another white one, but I saw this one on eBay but initially dismissed it, for reasons I'll get to, but after the listing had ended unsold I spotted it in the comments of a Facebook post and recognised it, so decided to make contact with the seller and start a conversation.

It's registered August 91 and is a genuine factory Big Bumper CE2 model. A first for me, door mirrors are in the wrong place and the wipers go the wrong way but I guess I'll just have to get used to that.

Only 128,000 miles, but despite the roof aerial and rear tinted lights (they're FIFFT not Hella) it is in fact an 8v. Major gripe of mine, a bee-sting on an 8v but again a compromise I'll learn to live with.

It has a full Miltex exhaust, It's on coil-overs, I haven't determined the brand yet, but have seen the coils are blue but the gezzer said they more mid-range than budget and to be fair the ride is decent, a lot better than I was expecting so I guess he must be right.

And as for the ride, it's also on 17" wheels, which again has surprised me as I though it would be really harsh and crashy but it's not.... or maybe I've just got used to the MK5 GTI on stiff suspension, 18" wheels with 40 profile. Either-way, I'd say it's on a par with that.

Ultraviolet interior, with no holes...

bolster foam is weak, but I've stripped down and padded out late spec seats before so it's on the list of jobs.

Headlining is in good order...

and dry inside which is great.

Clean in the areas that often aren't...

Factory air fed central locks, which works everywhere apart from the boot.

And standard issues of heaterbox foam hits you in the face on full blow and blows cold as you'd expect.

Thermostat needs replacing, gear linkage bushes have been done but I think the alignment could do with a tweak as 5th isn't always achievable first try.

Apart from that it's just the deep dish OMP steering wheel, fake tow strap, hella stickers and over the top Wolfsburg accessories that need to be replaced...

also the door pins, but I forgot to photo those.
And just in case there wasn't enough Wolsburg inside...

and a couple of videos the seller sent me pre-purchase.

Walk around video
https://youtu.be/SHKuRs85UH4

Underside video from pit
https://youtu.be/GG3x0fdmf74

So that's about it. Apart from the reason I nearly passed it by. Well the first reason was asking price, it was originally listed much higher than I actually paid. And I think the reason it didn't sell at that price and why I was able to knock it down, it has an "accident" recorded against. If what I'm told is true the hand brake was left off and it rolled into a tree on the rear offside quarter. The result it it has been fixed and benefited from full paint, and since most cars of this age have had some work done I thought so what if it's had some metal work, if not from an accident most have had work through rust, rot and neglect.

I scrutinized it as much as I could, under the trims and internal carpets, and could see no obvious signs of repair so happy it's been done to a very high standard so based on that I took the plunge ...

And just for reference, here's the old build thread:
Eddypecks '86 3DR GTi 8v Alpine White "Early doors"
Last edited by eddypeck on Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:28 pm, edited 5 times in total.
1 x

Monkey
Site Admin
Drives: VWs, lots of them!

Re: Eddypecks forth installment

Postby Monkey » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:36 pm

Looks great!
Get some Solution Finish on those plastics though :wink:
0 x
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup

Mk2 BBM R32
Mk4 Anni Derv

Rich
Dub Ninja
Drives: moped.

Postby Rich » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:42 pm

Get the tat sold.
1 x
Poverty spec member.

Avid follower of EddiePeck's lunchtime project.

bacardincoke
VAG Rat
Drives: 92 Alpine White 8v 3-Door

Postby bacardincoke » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:49 pm

Congratulations, looks superb (and the best colour too!)... With that number plate you'll be able to wear your gymp hood in public now.

Health to enjoy it...
0 x

Damien.wrl
Site Admin
Drives: an armchair

Postby Damien.wrl » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:22 pm

Glad to see you back....lunchtime updates back on the cards??
1 x

1988 Alpine White 35k mile OCD MK2 GTi ".................. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=128

Megaross
OEM
Drives: 1990 MK2 Golf 1.8 GLI

Postby Megaross » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:56 am

Nice, looks like a solid base to me
0 x

DoubleOSeven
OEM+
Drives: 1990 1.6 CL AUTO

Eddypecks forth installment

Postby DoubleOSeven » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:38 am

Nice project. It’ll be a great car, once it’s lost those ‘additions’ (subtractions) ;)

It’s good to have a to do list; makes it yours then, when completed.
0 x
1990 CL 1.6 Automatic

eddypeck
Supercharged

Postby eddypeck » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:32 pm

And so it begins...

Quick fix number one :party!: fake tow strap removed:

Trimsports VW Motorsports gear knob removed and up for sale already, and fitted a decent condition original golf ball that I'd purposely kept back for such an occasion:

On retrieving it form the drawer I noticed how grubby it was so I'm sure I'll be taking an old toothbrush to it at some point along with the rest of the required deep clean.
Already much better, the Alloy one is smaller than stock and also cold to touch which I don't like.

Another quick swap over, a tinted interior light that I'd also wisely kept back in case my next one didn't have one:

and out with the old white plastic one:

Surprising how much this caught my attention every time I looked int he rear-view mirror. I guess knowing I had a tinted one in a drawer didn't help.

And just for good measure and to give a full an complete picture of the madness, here's the Wolfsburg branded billet plunger:

Can't promise an update everyday, and just to confirm, these 'fixes' were done this morning before work. But I'm certainly not going to guarantee a regular Breakfast project.
0 x

bacardincoke
VAG Rat
Drives: 92 Alpine White 8v 3-Door

Postby bacardincoke » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:13 pm

Don't forget the Italvolanti!
0 x

eddypeck
Supercharged

Postby eddypeck » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:50 pm

bacardincoke wrote:Don't forget the Italvolanti!

It's safely stored in the loft, however that was on a small spline boss. The boss is specific to the Italvolanti wheels as the PCD of the holes doesn't match anything else. So I either need to remove the big spline adapter off the column or drill and tap a large spline boss as getting a genuine Italvolanti boss for large spline would be next to impossible and I dread to think the price tag on one should it appear on eBay.

The original PAS wheel came with the car so I think in the first instance I'll fit that. The horn isn't plugged in on the OMP wheel anyway and the boss must be fitted wrong as the indicators cancel in the wrong place. Being deep dish the stalks are just out of fingers reach which is also annoying. That said the OMP is a nice wheel to handle even if the styling isn't to my liking.
0 x

Return to “Members Rides”