New Air-cooled Project - maybe not what you think.

eddypeck
Supercharged
Drives: 1986 MK2 Golf GTI 8v

Re: New Air-cooled Project - maybe not what you think.

Postby eddypeck » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:42 pm

that was short lived... I broke it
0 x

Damien.wrl
Site Admin
Drives: an armchair

Postby Damien.wrl » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:06 pm

Something simple ??
0 x

1988 Alpine White 35k mile OCD MK2 GTi ".................. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=128

eddypeck
Supercharged

Postby eddypeck » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:01 am

Damien.wrl wrote:Something simple ??

In a round about kind of way, in the end yes!

As mentioned in the MOT saga, when the dodgy wiring on the horn blew the fuse the garage gave me a handful of fuses....

Well at the road side when I looked all the fuses there were none that had blown ... as this was my initial diagnosis

What I didn't do at the roadside was actually take the fuses out and inspect them... this one had fallen apart

It was for the main ignition system so EVERYTHING failed.

Simple fix, back up and running, rode it round the block and picked up a nail in the tyre :twisted:

Quite likely from outside my Dad's garage as I popped round to see him. :sad:

To near to the side wall to be fixed, but needed new tyres anyway front was 2011, rear was 2007, both showing signs of cracking in the sidewalls due to age, but loads of tread still as very little use over the past few years.

However due to the unpopular size it took a week to get them ordered and fitted. I saved a bit of money on labour by removing the wheels myself. First time with a shaft drive - which was fun - but quite simple really.

FLYING...

With the wheels off I noticed there were three retaining tabs for the rear drive that were worn, but managed to find all three parts in stock (they had four) from the main dealer for under a tenner. That's the first time I haven't had to source parts from America or Japan for it!

I also took another crack at the fork seal, requiring me to buy the correct tool this time, as it was still weeping after my initial replacement.

Just need some time to put it back together, there's still going to be a few days left this year that I'll be wanting to use it but I've had so many frustrating days when it's been off the road for one reason or another.
0 x

eddypeck
Supercharged

Postby eddypeck » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:40 am

Well this one's earning it's keep today. Since selling the Audi we're down to one car and a bike (well since I haven't fixed the Polo yet anyway) and today Carole has to go to college to so gets the car.

So even though there's weather warnings for string winds and flooding I'm on two wheels! At least the rain means the temperature is up a bit, was -2 deg last week when I was on it :shock:

Not ideal conditions for a chrome clad classic, and I'm sure some people will be ... :eek: but at the end of the day, it's transport and I need to get to work.

Although, I have tentatively advertised it for sale in a few select locations. Just out of interest really but if I get any sensible bites I will most likely get something more modern again and more suited to my daily requirements.... and with less polishing!
0 x

Damien.wrl
Site Admin

Postby Damien.wrl » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:32 pm

Nnnooooooooo..... you will regret it when you are two car again, I am thinking of getting rid of my four wheel toys and jut keeping the z plus maybe a 50s beemer
0 x

1988 Alpine White 35k mile OCD MK2 GTi ".................. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=128

eddypeck
Supercharged

Postby eddypeck » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:40 pm

Don't get me wrong, still two wheels. But ideally a more modern dependable steed that I can have some more confidence in. Love the GS but .... And I don't know how to explain it but if you get it you'll know .... Sometimes it just doesn't feel right.

Anyway it's not the right time to sell a bike so if no bites I'll keep it a while longer.
0 x

eddypeck
Supercharged

Postby eddypeck » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:41 pm

So, it looks like I accidentally sold it :shock:

I put this ad on Car and Classic (because they do bike too) https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1060015
and thought I'd just sit it there and see if anything happens.

Anyway I guy messaged me, then nothing.
Then he followed up, "sorry been a way - but interested"
we exchanged numbers, then nothing.

Then yesterday out of the blue I got a text. Had family stuff going on but back on track and wanted to see the bike.
Was local to where I work and I just so happened to have been on the bike that day so he came over, met me at work and looked round the bike in the office car park.

No offer, had to judge what he thought but said he's get back to me.

Text this morning, slept on it and wants it! :clapping: a smidge off the asking price but I'm happy with the deal. Money and bike still to actually change hands so I guess either of us could back out. But that's basically it.

A good 18 months, and just over 5000 miles completed.
Time for the next chapter... watch this space.
0 x

Damien.wrl
Site Admin

Postby Damien.wrl » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:38 pm

You will miss that one day, unless you get something nicer

Friend just bought one of these.... really nice in the flesh
https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1022790
0 x

Return to “Your non Mk2 motors”