8V GTi won't start......stinks if fuel

Is your car playing up? Section includes conversion advice, temperature control, ECU and ignition problems.
vagingit.co.uk
OEM
Drives: Jetta G60 turbo

8V GTi won't start......stinks if fuel

Postby vagingit.co.uk » Thu May 16, 2019 2:17 pm

I've picked up an 8V GTi as a non runner been in a garage for 3 years

It's a standard but rebuilt head mated to a 2.0 bottom end.

The problem is it won't start. I've turned it over by hand and it's all fine. New ignition components so has spark. It turns over strongly but doesnt even hint at catching.

There is however fuel in the sump and the plugs are wet with fuel from the cranking. I've drained the sump and out new oil in. I've also replaced the ecu in case that's been fried as the earth from rocker cover to coil was missing, buy still no start

It's got;

Spark
Fuel and a decent battery

Anything else I can check? I've even tried leaving the plugs out to let any excess fuel evaporate.

I'm stumped
1 x

TomRich
Dub Ninja
Drives: Golfs

Re: 8V GTi won't start......stinks if fuel

Postby TomRich » Fri May 17, 2019 2:12 pm

Have you physically seen a spark with your own eyes, or is it an assumption given the new parts? Some bits may not apply to you dependant on the answer to that.

However, if the plugs are now dry and it is no longer flooded, if you have fuel and there's a spark then it should at least cough or bang or something.

First thing first, pull your fuel pump relay so it doesn't flood again while you're looking into it.

Now pull a lead, stick a plug in it and check you have a spark. If you do, check the timing of the cam, crank and dizzy again, check the lead order again, and now you'll know if it's sparking when it's supposed to.

If that's all good, it's time to start looking elsewhere so bad grounds, a hefty air / vacuum leak, compression if the engine is unknown / unproven, duff coolant temp sensor shovelling fuel in - though for a cold start with a happy engine / ignition system that shouldn't really phase it, etc.

Is it K-Jet or Digifant as the Digi 8v engines are resilient little f_ckers and will run regardless of a lot of things, whereas K-Jet will happily refuse to run if it doesn't like you, doesn't feel like it or is too far out of adjustment.

Don't give up with it though, on a side note - and for reference - I've done more 1.8T cars than I can count over the last 6 or 7 years including one which did 65k road miles and 12 track days, and despite my Mrs' 1.8T Corrado firing up immediately at the weekend and running beautifully, it has now refused to start for two days straight despite happily cranking like a champ :lol:

Sh_t happens and you'll figure it out with perseverance, someone will probably be along shortly with a lightbulb moment :thumbs:
0 x

TomRich
Dub Ninja
Drives: Golfs

Postby TomRich » Fri May 17, 2019 2:12 pm

Have you physically seen a spark with your own eyes, or is it an assumption given the new parts? Some bits may not apply to you dependant on the answer to that.

However, if the plugs are now dry and it is no longer flooded, if you have fuel and there's a spark then it should at least cough or bang or something.

First thing first, pull your fuel pump relay so it doesn't flood again while you're looking into it.

Now pull a lead, stick a plug in it and check you have a spark. If you do, check the timing of the cam, crank and dizzy again, check the lead order again, and now you'll know if it's sparking when it's supposed to.

If that's all good, it's time to start looking elsewhere so bad grounds, a hefty air / vacuum leak, compression if the engine is unknown / unproven, duff coolant temp sensor shovelling fuel in - though for a cold start with a happy engine / ignition system that shouldn't really phase it, etc.

Is it K-Jet or Digifant as the Digi 8v engines are resilient little f_ckers and will run regardless of a lot of things, whereas K-Jet will happily refuse to run if it doesn't like you, doesn't feel like it or is too far out of adjustment.

Don't give up with it though, on a side note - and for reference - I've done more 1.8T cars than I can count over the last 6 or 7 years including one which did 65k road miles and 12 track days, and despite my Mrs' 1.8T Corrado firing up immediately at the weekend and running beautifully, it has now refused to start for two days straight despite happily cranking like a champ :lol:

Sh_t happens and you'll figure it out with perseverance, someone will probably be along shortly with a lightbulb moment :thumbs:
0 x

vagingit.co.uk
OEM
Drives: Jetta G60 turbo

Postby vagingit.co.uk » Fri May 17, 2019 8:49 pm

I have just gone at tested each plug one by one and there's a decent spark from each plug.

With the new ECU and TCI it doesn't appear to me keeping the fuel pump on now as there's only a faint smell of petrol.

It's a digifant 8V so I'm wondering if perhaps the air flow meter is a problem as it's got spark and fuel so only needs air now.

On the other hand, I haven't checked the timing as I don't know how to
1 x

Return to “Engine & Gearbox”