Fuel starvation.

Is your car playing up? Section includes conversion advice, temperature control, ECU and ignition problems.
Luke_Stocks
OEM
Drives: 1990 golf mk2, 1.6 3 door

Fuel starvation.

Postby Luke_Stocks » Wed May 22, 2019 9:57 pm

Hi there, I've having a recurring issue with fuel starvation. When I clean the in line fuel filter the problem goes away for a couple of days then it comes back. The carb has been rebuilt twice and the fuel tank has been flushed last month. Should I change the line going from tank to filter? I be honest I starting to make the car drivable and getting annoying, any help is good for me. Cheers for your time, Luke.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
0 x

Luke_Stocks
OEM

Re: Fuel starvation.

Postby Luke_Stocks » Wed May 22, 2019 10:07 pm

Luke_Stocks wrote:Hi there, I've having a recurring issue with fuel starvation. When I clean the in line fuel filter the problem goes away for a couple of days then it comes back. The carb has been rebuilt twice and the fuel tank has been flushed last month. Should I change the line going from tank to filter? I be honest I starting to make the car drivable and getting annoying, any help is good for me. Cheers for your time, Luke.

Just to clarify its a 1990 golf driver with a Webber carb.

0 x

Monkey
Site Admin
Drives: VWs, lots of them!

Postby Monkey » Thu May 23, 2019 7:55 am

Sounds like you've potentially got something bad in the fuel tank.
If you've got access, I'd disconnect the fuel line at either end and blow through it with compressed air.
Also, you can get to the fuel tank through the boot, pop up the metal plate and take the fuel tank lid off.
From there, you can get a torch and have a good look around inside, though I'd run the tank as empty as you dare first!
0 x
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup

Mk2 BBM R32
Mk4 Anni Derv

Luke_Stocks
OEM

Postby Luke_Stocks » Thu May 23, 2019 2:29 pm

Monkey wrote:Sounds like you've potentially got something bad in the fuel tank.
If you've got access, I'd disconnect the fuel line at either end and blow through it with compressed air.
Also, you can get to the fuel tank through the boot, pop up the metal plate and take the fuel tank lid off.
From there, you can get a torch and have a good look around inside, though I'd run the tank as empty as you dare first!

I've flushed the tank twice, but i think it would be a better decision to seal the tank, do you know of any good plastic tank sealants? As a side note i might just get a nice fuel feed line just to eliminate that problem as well. Do you think this would fix it?
0 x

Monkey
Site Admin
Drives: VWs, lots of them!

Postby Monkey » Thu May 23, 2019 4:27 pm

How do you mean seal the tank?
It needs to breathe, or it will suck itself in when you're emptying it.

It could well be that your tank to filter line has a couple of rubber sections, they could be degrading and blocking up the filter.
As a rule, the plastic pipes are pretty good, but the rubber parts will let you down. I've just swapped my pump to filter lines last week.
0 x
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup

Mk2 BBM R32
Mk4 Anni Derv

eddypeck
Supercharged
Drives: 1986 MK2 Golf GTI 8v

Postby eddypeck » Thu May 23, 2019 6:06 pm

Here's a random thought... and I would be amazed if the same thing could happen to anyone else....

But I had some welding done on my rear inner arch, when the metal work guys cut out the area to patch they nicked the fuel filler neck and cut an inch long slot in the filler neck.

This went undiscovered for about 4 months, till one day I brimmed up the tank and parked facing up hill.
Every time the weather was a bit damp the car would misbehave, I repaired the hole with plastic weld but eventually the car broke down for good and I spent literally thousands getting the entire fuel injection system reconditioned due to contamination.

Here's the close up after I finally discovered it.

Here's where you can see the patch was put in so if you follow the top weld line along you can see how they managed it.

Like I said I would be amazed if someone else was to be this unlucky but worth checking your fuel tank all over. I replaced the tank in the end.

I find it hard to see how else contamination can get into the plastic tank unless as money says it's the tanks own rubber internals breaking down.

Good luck.
0 x

sly_gti
VW Bug
Drives: Mk2 2.0 8v

Postby sly_gti » Sun May 26, 2019 8:41 am

I've had the lift pump go all crusty. This could cause a bit of contamination but not masses.

Also check the gauze on the bottom of the lift pump if having a gander in there.
0 x

Return to “Engine & Gearbox”