No power - cuts out when Rev -1.6 Webber carb

Is your car playing up? Section includes conversion advice, temperature control, ECU and ignition problems.
AbsinthTears
OEM
Drives: 1989 MK2 8v Golf ~Elixir~

No power - cuts out when Rev -1.6 Webber carb

Postby AbsinthTears » Sat May 25, 2019 6:19 pm

Came to use my mk2 the other day. 8v on twin Webber carb. It’s been stood about 4 months due to having a babysaurus.
I topped everything up (water n oil etc) and started her up. I noticed that it struggled to start in the first couple of attempts. Seemed my battery had lost charge and didn’t have enough juice to crank. On starting with jump leads and warming her up. The engine cut out when rev’d. I instantly thought the carb might need a clean as 4 months is the longest time I haven’t used the car before.
All seemed good after I used some decent carb cleaner.
But nope I got to the end of the street and no acceleration at all just stalled the engine. On pushing the lump back home, I disconnected the carb and cleaned it up.
I just tried it again about 30 mins ago and still the same problem. I can hear the carb making a really large hissing when rev’d to about 1800 with the manual choke out but any higher it seems to cut out.

Any ideas? Will be checking the carb hoses, base flange and vacuum pipe once weather picks up a bit
0 x

AbsinthTears
OEM
Drives: 1989 MK2 8v Golf ~Elixir~

Re: No power - cuts out when Rev -1.6 Webber carb

Postby AbsinthTears » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:19 pm

I’ve checked for air leaks, replaced a gasket from carb to base (not flange), checked flange for leaks all seems ok and replaced my manual choke cable. Adjusted the air/fuel ratio and still same issue above 3000 rpm.
I’m completely open to ideas, to me it seems like it’s sucking in too much air but I’m stumped.

https://youtu.be/sL4LXeCiYqI
0 x

Return to “Engine & Gearbox”