Auto Problem Revers Fine Forward Gear having to pump to accelerate to move

Is your car playing up? Section includes conversion advice, temperature control, ECU and ignition problems.
Baronvonmarlon
L-Driver
Drives: Mk2 Golf Driver

Auto Problem Revers Fine Forward Gear having to pump to accelerate to move

Postby Baronvonmarlon » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:28 pm

Hi

I've recently purchased a 91' 1.8 Automatic. Initially it was very slow changing up gears, going down seemed fine.

Now, to accelerate I need to continuously pump the accelerator to go anywhere. If I progressively apply the accelerator it doesn't accelerate
. It changes into reverse fine and accelerates in reverse okay

Has anyone experienced this issue or can offer where I start fault finding? I've never had an automatic before so it's all alien to me

Thank you in advance

Ol
0 x

eagle
OEM
Drives: Mk2 1.6 Auto

Re: Auto Problem Revers Fine Forward Gear having to pump to accelerate to move

Postby eagle » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:47 pm

Have you checked the gearbox oil level. The Dipstick, looking from the front of the engine, is on the right hand side of the engine bay, down from the battery. Yours is probably a green surround. The fluid should be red. If its brown and maybe a bit smelly then it will need changing. I suspect its either low or needs a change of fluid. It is something you can do at home.
1 x

Baronvonmarlon
L-Driver
Drives: Mk2 Golf Driver

Postby Baronvonmarlon » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:07 pm

Update. Checked the fluid and it was very low, just below the first marker. The fluid was brown as noted above.Topped it up and it is much better than it was.

There is still some hesitation going up the gears in drive so I have ordered 5l of fluid and a filter to do a full change
0 x

eddypeck
Supercharged
Drives: 1986 MK2 Golf GTI 8v

Postby eddypeck » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:54 pm

Sounds like you’ll be back in business soon, gotta love the simple fixes :thumbs:
0 x

Return to “Engine & Gearbox”