thoughts on 2.0 TSI engine in Mk6 GTI

Talk about anything! (But keep it clean please!)
eddypeck
Supercharged
Drives: 1986 MK2 Golf GTI 8v

thoughts on 2.0 TSI engine in Mk6 GTI

Postby eddypeck » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:15 am

Guys, what's the general opinions on the 2.0 TSI engines, or in general what's the best engine in more up to date Golfs?

After picking a poor example of an A3 with a BMN (BKD) engine, suffering with the apparently common porous head issue I'm kind done with the TDI idea. If you know me you know I dislike agricultural engines in cars anyway. Also I didn't find the A3 as practical a car as the Golf.

But the Mk4 has nearly reached the moon in terms of miles on the clock and is generally getting quite tired overall, I could probably squeeze another couple of years out of it, but it's coming up to 4 years of ownership and that's a long time for me I get bored easy.

So, looking again at replacements. And I get to that point when I don't want to make do with sensible/practical and I kind of think sod it, I can get a loan and get a car I like. A Mk6 GTI is quite appealing as a daily driver (A Mk5 would be OK but I think I can stretch to go a bit newer) but I have very little faith in modern tech and all those darn sensors and crap.
0 x

Damien.wrl
Site Admin
Drives: an armchair

Re: thoughts on 2.0 TSI engine in Mk6 GTI

Postby Damien.wrl » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:34 am

I would probably think Skoda .... did I just say that??.
0 x

1988 Alpine White 35k mile OCD MK2 GTi ".................. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=128

eddypeck
Supercharged

Postby eddypeck » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:42 am

Damien.wrl wrote:I would probably think Skoda .... did I just say that??.

I knew someone was going to say it, but no. I just don't like the styling so much. If not a Golf then I'd probably go SEAT Leon. I am a designer after-all so it's all about the vanity. Like I wouldn't "need" a GTI but the red stripe is so pretty :cool:

But the question is are there any known/common issues and things to look out for on them. Regardless of Audi, VW, SEAT, Skoda they're pretty much the same tech so share the same pros and cons. mechanically and technologically.
0 x

Rich
Dub Ninja
Drives: moped.

Postby Rich » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:53 am

I love my 1.4 MK4, gets near enough the second mpg as the TDI and is far quieter.
My diesel days are done.
1 x
Poverty spec member.

Avid follower of EddiePeck's lunchtime project.

BLCSO
Drives: GTi and Driver

Postby BLCSO » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:23 pm

Appreciate I've got a Mk7 so don't know if there is any significant difference but can't really fault the performance and economy that I'm getting out of mine. Cracking all round car, although if I'm honest I do miss my old diesel estate.

Only thing I've been made aware of on the earlier cars is potential tensioner issues, sure a quick google will bring up more info, but i'm in work and limited to what sites I can get on :roll:

But yes nice MK6 GTi would be a very nice machine. Don't be lulled in to the GT with the 1.4 engine I believe that they are quite troublesome.
0 x

eddypeck
Supercharged

Postby eddypeck » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:54 pm

would love a mk7, but too new and too pricey for me. I'm barley in with a chance for a mk6 but feel I need to stretch to it as I just don't feel a mk5 is enough of a change from the mk4. I need to see some progress in my life.
0 x

Damien.wrl
Site Admin
Drives: an armchair

Postby Damien.wrl » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:19 pm

Get an old merc w116 or something like that, I would love one
0 x

1988 Alpine White 35k mile OCD MK2 GTi ".................. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=128

MalC
VAG Monkey
Drives: 3dr Pearl Grey 20vt

Postby MalC » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:26 pm

as Baz said cam chain tensioner and also inlet valves and PCV common issues - PCV being cheapest to sort - I wouldn't buy one with reasonably high mileage if there was no proof of cam chain tensioner being done and to latest replacement spec as I believe there may have even been a recall at some point ?
1 x

Rich
Dub Ninja
Drives: moped.

Postby Rich » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:55 pm

A mk5 is a six, there is massive step from 4 to 5.
Fives are so cheap at the minute as well.
0 x
Poverty spec member.

Avid follower of EddiePeck's lunchtime project.

eddypeck
Supercharged

Postby eddypeck » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:27 am

So I posted the same question on a Mechanic forum I go on, here's some feedback from guys in trade:

Known oil burners, a bad one uses 1L of oil every 400 miles. There's something catastrophic that concerns the cam follower for the fuel pump?

Bad piston rings or coated bores? - Cause oil burn!

HP pump drive explodes...

HP pumps suffer three way axis adjustment failure - giving high rail pressures and "limp mode" - known also too affect emissions for MOT testing and loads of O2 sensors bought after mis diagnosis.

Plus even a good low mileage engines - makes a horrible ticking noise from the HP injectors.

That was as much as I got before it went into a debate that most modern cars suffer the same issues and no modern cars are worth having outside of the first few years warranty. Which confirms the fact my mate was right to quit mechanics some ten+ years ago and retrain as a plumber - he's loaded now as well!
0 x

Return to “General Chat”