MK2 GTI 16V Special Edition

Chat about all things Mk2 but not technical questions please
malban
L-Driver
Drives: 1988 MK2 Golf GTI 16V

MK2 GTI 16V Special Edition

Postby malban » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:12 pm

Hello!

I bought my Golf in Oct 2015. It is a '88 GTI 16V 'Special' Edition. I am the 13th owner....so she's been passed around quite a lot on here so I believe :shifty:

I used it as a daily for a number of years then for the past year shes been off the road but take it for a spin now and then. I have found out what is so special about the 'Special' edition and have a document I found online. As I don't really use it anymore I am in two minds whether to part ways and allow someone else to enjoy her! Someone messaged me a while a go saying that there are only a handful of RHD specials still in existence...

My main question would be would anyone know how much it would be worth?

TIA
0 x

eddypeck
Supercharged
Drives: 1986 MK2 Golf GTI 8v

Re: MK2 GTI 16V Special Edition

Postby eddypeck » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:00 pm

I was thinking the special edition you're referring to was a 'One in Ten Million' edition. viewtopic.php?f=155&t=47364 but then I saw the "Special" sticker on the side.

Price won't really be increased by the "edition" and less so without the parts that made it "special" in the first place. So consider it a standard 16v GTI and price it based on condition. Rust, bodywork, interior, mechanical etc. Service history, documentation and original features.

The other thing with the special edition is it's not commonly known. It's not well known like a "campaign" edition mk1 so not really sought after, just a nice to have if you happen to own it. As yours has been modified, the most value is in the original examples. So if you the wheels, side trims, steering wheel, correct bumpers, rear wiper and anything else that's been removed I'd consider putting them back to stock.

That said, if the price was right I would certainly be interested to see some more pics and maybe start a conversation :D
0 x

Return to “Mk2 Golf Chat”