Mk2 monza

Come and show off your ride here!!
eddypeck
Supercharged
Drives: 1986 MK2 Golf GTI 8v

Re: Mk2 monza

Postby eddypeck » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:06 am

With regards to the brass inserts.... no idea if they're OK to be used but you can do a trick to refresh copper. I often do it to reuse crush washers if I'm caught out without new ones.

Heat with a blow lamp till red hot... proper red, and either leave to cool, or drop into water - there's various theories on which is better but I think leave to cool naturally wins for some reason.

The heating will make the part reform to it's original shape. Worth a go I suppose ?
1 x

Oakgreen16V
Site Admin
Drives: Rallye

Postby Oakgreen16V » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:10 am

Really taking shape mate and thanks for the comprehensive updates :)
1 x

Coakers
VAG Rat
Drives: 1987 MK2 Golf GTI 16V

Postby Coakers » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:18 pm

Cheers for the advice Eddy I'll look it up on YouTube to find out a bit more. I'll use the brass inserts out of the spare lower inlet and practice on that. Thanks again for the replies! :-)

Done some more bits today. Starting with the Fuel Accumulator(s) (part no. 431133441C) their cases are in poor condition but there's nothing wrong the function of the one that came off mine at least. (Unkown about the one the came with the spare pump/casing) Even though mine is the one that looks the worst (right).

But the knot wheel on an angle grinder and locked it in the vice.

Also used the dremel for the hard to reach places and

Not half bad. Had to let the cloud of iron oxide settle before I coated them with Hydrate 80.

I very nearly bought a new one but they are around £170 for a replacement and since I have two already plus another big expenditure on the horizon It just wasn't worth it.

I'll give them a coat of gloss black to finish the tidy up.

Turning my attention to the exhaust manifold(s). Yeh I've got a spare one of them too. Two exhaust manifold-to-downpipe bolts have rusted so much there was nothing much left of them so I cut them off and was going to drill them out when I remembered I had a spare that I'd kept in my grandads old shed. That itself was very rusty though.

While we are here, its about time I asked about these downpipes, they were all sold as 16v downpipes but they are all very different!
Not looked into as to why yet, answers on a postcard?

Yup pretty corroded inside and out.

Out with the knotwheeel and dremel again.

120 grit on the manifold faces got them nice and flat. I also used the dremel to get rid of the rust (sick of saying rust) in the bores of the manifold.

The downpipe end was a different story.
The old gasket had fused itself to the 'face' it.

Got a finger sander, power file? a while ago which I was careful with but It still took ages.

Mounting with new gaskets and nuts (ordered copper washers). Also mounted the downpipe. Surprising how long all this took!!

0 x

Coakers
VAG Rat

Postby Coakers » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:45 pm

Moving back to the fuel pump. My photos are consistently poor so I apologise for that. Need to upgrade this phone! Anyway.

These casings are problemetaic due to mainly the screws for locking ring that turn into cheese after a couple of decades and the brackets for the accumulator and fuel filter which are just generally brittle and old. As you can tell from the way the two I own have responded to disassembly. So after the miliput had cured and whem time allowed I armed myself with petrol and a nylon bush i set about cleaning everything then painting.

I built everything back up with one of my Christmas presents.

Yup, unnecessarily expensive braided fuel lines, around £100 from VW heritage. Good job they were a present from the other half. I'm far too tight to splash that kind of cash for a couple of fuel lines.

This is how it looked before.

Not overly fond of how one of the lines rests against the fuel pump. Just hope I've installed them in the correct configuration.

Oh and stripped and repainted the spotlight housings.
Here's the other side for comparison, they were in a pretty sorry state. Like everything else on this car really.

Sorry that most of my updates are just in baby steps but I just have to do bits when time allows at the moment.
0 x

Fish4
OEM
Drives: Just bought MK2 16v

Postby Fish4 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:50 pm

Great post, thanks

I wasn’t aware of the different downpipes as pictured - genuine and non genuine maybe? I know the ‘90/91 cars definitely had the type with the integrated silencer as OEM.

Oh, and the pictures aren’t that bad!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
0 x

Monkey
Site Admin
Drives: VWs, lots of them!

Postby Monkey » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:40 am

Good work. Especially on the spot lights, they look brand new!
Did you take the glass off, or is it just the angle of the photo?
0 x
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup

Mk2 BBM R32
Mk4 Anni Derv

Damien.wrl
Site Admin
Drives: an armchair

Postby Damien.wrl » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:06 pm

Good work ...
0 x

1988 Alpine White 35k mile OCD MK2 GTi ".................. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=128

Coakers
VAG Rat

Postby Coakers » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:52 am

Must be the angle of the photo Monkey, 8ts actually just cheap caliper paint but I was made up with the how they came out.

I ended up going with the 8v downpipe, yeh it only has the 2'' diameter over the 16v 2.25'' but I didn't fancy using that silencer as it was most probably rotten.

I have sourced a full genuine mk2 leather interior, It hefty road trip to Bedford to pick them up satutoday but well worth it. All for £230 inc door cards! The drivers side has got a lot of bolster wear but than can be sorted in time. I'm also thinking of dying it black but I need to look more into it as I'm not a huge fan of the grey leather but mk2 leather interiors crop up so infrequently now I had to have it at this price.

As for the car... All I'm going to say is.. Something is happening. The next four to six weeks are going to bring a lot of changes.

0 x

Coakers
VAG Rat

Postby Coakers » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:00 pm

I've robbed someone, that's what it feels like anyway, just picked up these fully refurbished RA's with tyres for £300. The seller had them on fb marketplace for about an hour before I put a deposit down. He knew what he had, but he wanted a quick sale as he had some BBS RS's lined up.

Someone had offered £100 more after I put the deposit down put fair play to the guy, he honoured the agreement. Needless to say I'm a happy boy
1 x

Coakers
VAG Rat

Postby Coakers » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:49 pm

Let's talk about bumpers shall we, or rather restoring them. For thousands of years mk2 golf owners have debated, argued and fought over the best way to restoring the fading textures to bumpers and arch trim. Well I saw Rye1991's thread a while back and he used this stuff

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2589135785

Pro-XL textured bumper paint.

Didn't get many before pictures but all I did was clean the bumpers with white spirit, key them with scotchbrite pads, clean again with white spirit and dry with a MF towel. Oh and mask...

That's the rear bumper after one coat compared to the untouched front bumper.

Close up showing textured effect.

I thought well I can't have nicely painted bumpers and just leave the faded GTI stripe. What a paint these were to mask up.

But I was very happy with the finished result.

Not perfect, there a scratches and dints in them but I think they'll look good on the car.
0 x

Return to “Members Rides”