Boot central locking mechanism

If your question doesn't fit in above, come on in!
eddypeck
Supercharged
Drives: 1986 MK2 Golf GTI 8v

Re: Boot central locking mechanism

Postby eddypeck » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:36 pm

On central locking cars, because you never use the key in the boot - because it locks/unlocks centrally - is the locks seize up.
0 x

Pingman
VAG Rat
Drives: 89' 16v CE1

Postby Pingman » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:22 am

oh amazing!! :eek: :party!:

I'm still being thick though, Which plastic tabs am I potentially missing??

I disconnected the washer pipe and have taken a couple of better photos, surprisingly hard to do with the boot in the air and upside down underneath it lol.

0 x

Pootz
VW Bug
Drives: A 5 door Shed

Postby Pootz » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:26 am

Pingman wrote:oh amazing!! :eek: :party!:

I'm still being thick though, Which plastic tabs am I potentially missing??

I disconnected the washer pipe and have taken a couple of better photos, surprisingly hard to do with the boot in the air and upside down underneath it lol.

Not sure if its the way the picture is but does the rod that runs horizontally goingbtonthe plastic but that's shaped like the letter T?
To me it looks like it's stopped short but, like I said, it could be the picture

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk
0 x

Pootz
VW Bug

Postby Pootz » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:32 am

Also your locking mechanism looks different to mine.
If I have the T shaped white piece where yours is then the other white bit is in a different position plus your T shaped piece seems to be on the opposite side...Not sure if that makes sense or not

This is my lockImage

0 x

eddypeck
Supercharged
Drives: 1986 MK2 Golf GTI 8v

Postby eddypeck » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:11 am

The T-piece slides left and right to locked/unlocked. You can lock the boot with the key which slides the T across, this removes it from the central locking. Meaning your Boot can stay locked but your doors remain open, this stops someone opening your boot and steeling your shopping when waiting at a traffic light in the centre of town!
0 x

Pootz
VW Bug

Postby Pootz » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:41 am

eddypeck wrote:The T-piece slides left and right to locked/unlocked. You can lock the boot with the key which slides the T across, this removes it from the central locking. Meaning your Boot can stay locked but your doors remain open, this stops someone opening your boot and steeling your shopping when waiting at a traffic light in the centre of town!
Gotcha. Didn't realise that.
Something new learned today. Cheers

0 x

Pingman
VAG Rat

Postby Pingman » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:52 pm

That makes sense.

Update: Fixed! :clapping:

I lubricated it more and got it sliding with less resistance and during the process of freeing up the mechanism it appeared seemed to engage and started working! :party!:

BIG thanks Eddy & Pootz, really appreciate the lengths you've gone to to help! This forum always delivers with such good people :)

Now just to fit the wiper motor & assembly, new washer nozzle, and rewire the entire thing (inc heated screen) and then I'll finally have fully working boot lid ancillaries :confused: :lol:
1 x

Pootz
VW Bug

Postby Pootz » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:54 pm

Pingman wrote:That makes sense.

I lubricated it more and got it sliding with less resistance and during the process of freeing up the mechanism it appeared seemed to engage and started working! :party!:

BIG thanks Eddy & Pootz, really appreciate the lengths you've gone to to help! This forum always delivers with such good people :)

Now just to fit the wiper motor & assembly, new washer nozzle, and rewire the entire thing (inc heated screen) and then I'll finally have fully working boot lid ancillaries :confused:
Glad it's sorted.
I don't envy you doing the washer motor. I need to do mine as well as run a totally new length of hose from the engine bay to there at washer jet

0 x

Pingman
VAG Rat

Postby Pingman » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:02 pm

Pootz wrote:

Now just to fit the wiper motor & assembly, new washer nozzle, and rewire the entire thing (inc heated screen) and then I'll finally have fully working boot lid ancillaries :confused:
Glad it's sorted.
I don't envy you doing the washer motor. I need to do mine as well as run a totally new length of hose from the engine bay to there at washer jet

Motor's actually ok, it's the nozzle. Took me 15 minutes to break the dead one out! Ideally want to upgrade it with a more modern misting type one but lord knows what fits.

I think the pump is quite easy to change if I remember, I had to unclog mine before.
0 x

Pootz
VW Bug

Postby Pootz » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:11 pm

Pingman wrote:
Pootz wrote:

Glad it's sorted.

Motor's actually ok, it's the nozzle. Took me 15 minutes to break the dead one out! Ideally want to upgrade it with a more modern misting type one but lord knows what fits.

I think the pump is quite easy to change if I remember, I had to unclog mine before.
I've been trying to work out if some other wiper arm could be fitted that has a nozzle built in and blanking the original mk2 one 9ff. That way it sprays with the sweep of the wiper arm

0 x

Return to “Other Technical Problems”