engine problem

Is your car playing up? Section includes conversion advice, temperature control, ECU and ignition problems.
Settaz
L-Driver
Drives: 1989 mk2 golf gti

engine problem

Postby Settaz » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:45 pm

Evening guy

Rite done the timeing belt then one of me pals that was there thought there was a earth problem so took the earth from the battery to the gearbox ......now when I turn the ignition on the fuel pump goes but the fuel is just coming straight out the injectors and filling the pots ....I have read a few different things and it seems to be pointing to the ECU toasted due to the earthing problem.......anyone else had this problem and maybe point me in the right direction

Cheers

John
0 x

eddypeck
Supercharged
Drives: 1986 MK2 Golf GTI 8v

Re: engine problem

Postby eddypeck » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:03 pm

earth problems are known to fry the ECU so it's quite possible. Anyone near you with a Mk2 that would lend you an ECU to swap over and try? Obviously you'd need to know your earth problems were resolved or you'd end up with 2 fried ECUs
0 x

Monkey
Site Admin
Drives: VWs, lots of them!

Re: engine problem

Postby Monkey » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:02 am

Hi John,

Yes, I've had that exact problem, my gearbox earth point worked loose, it spiked my ECU and filled the bores (and the oil) with fuel.
By the time I'd worked out what had happened, swapped the ECU and started the car, I'd thinned out the oil so much, it lunched the engine in about 60 seconds! Ended up swapping the engine for a 20v.
So make sure you do an oil change before you get the new ECU in there.
1 x
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster