Lower Cam Belt Cover - Pattern Parts not fitting correctly

Is your car playing up? Section includes conversion advice, temperature control, ECU and ignition problems.
AndyBa
OEM+
Drives: 1991 MK2 BB GTI 8V

Lower Cam Belt Cover - Pattern Parts not fitting correctly

Postby AndyBa » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:00 pm

So today I thought I'd make some progress on putting the ancillary bits back on the Golf engine,..
I thought i'd treat it to a new lower cam cover so bought a Topran one off ebay since the "original" one was broken and distorted. Firstly struggled getting it to fit flush and found that was due to the bottom left bolt hole being broken on my old one - it looked like the old mounting was rusted solid/a slightly different "fit". Solution was to remove the metal bush out of the new one with a drill.
So now the bottom fitted nice and flush but the top wasn't flush to the block because of the timing belt tensioner rubbing against the side and edge of the cover. This required removal of plastic which I could now see was cut out from the "original" one. So a 10min job probably took over an hour...Arrgh
0 x

eddypeck
Supercharged
Drives: 1986 MK2 Golf GTI 8v

Re: Lower Cam Belt Cover - Pattern Parts not fitting correctly

Postby eddypeck » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:55 am

Just a thought, there are early and late style cam-belt covers. Is the lower cover you got the right one?
0 x

AndyBa
OEM+
Drives: 1991 MK2 BB GTI 8V

Re: Lower Cam Belt Cover - Pattern Parts not fitting correctly

Postby AndyBa » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:00 pm

I didn't know there were different ones, but it seems to fit now. The upper cover fits into it fine.
1 x

Return to “Engine & Gearbox”