Eddypecks forth installment - Lucy

Come and show off your ride here!!
Kenneth cartwright
OEM+
Drives: 1989 gti valver

Re: Eddypecks forth installment - Lucy

Postby Kenneth cartwright » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:02 am

eddypeck wrote:Here's another job I've done before...

Last time's effort: http://www.vwgolfmk2.co.uk/forum/viewto ... 8&#p253988

But this time wanted to be a bit more OEM about it - or I didn't like it that last time I chose light grey foam (as that's all I had) and you could see it in the air vent. I didn't have anything darker till it dawned on me I could sacrifice a splash guard from the side of the heater box, as I had a spare and this one was a bit scruffy - there was also a chunk missing which wasn't there before so I think my dog has had a pop at it while I wasn't looking (note to self keep R A R E parts and soft furnishing out of reach - just remembered one of them eat some small bumper indicators previously, can't remember which dog :confused: )

Perfect :cool (y):

a bit crude but you get the idea, I binned this one and tried again:

like so:

And trimmed around:

Full set done:

And for good measure some little videos:

https://youtu.be/tTHlDlO0bzw

https://youtu.be/CnPtUb4l92E

https://youtu.be/zuU-aga_2aQ

All clean and fresh and ready for when I complete the heater system build and refresh the dash.

And as a side comment, after finding the crossovers I can confirm there are Focal tweeters.

These will be getting some dust removal.

Not removed the door speaker grills yet, trying to limit how many small parts I put the car in for the moment. Door cards to get attention later on.

I also forgot to post up the pics the other day but here goes...

from this:

to this:

And yes, bought myself a snowfoam lance when I got the mk5 as it seemed the right thing to do, so obligatory photo opportunity:

So happy with my driveway right now:

LOOKS great. when you get round to doing brakes and servo change let me know you can do mine too...... :bout ye:
0 x
:jackson:
On the drive mk1 cabbies and mk2 gti valver.

rickygolf83
VAG Monkey
Drives: 8v, 16v, mk4 1.8t, mk4 td

Postby rickygolf83 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:48 pm

Looks a really clean one there

If the boot isn't locking with the doors, try turning the boot lock to the opposite side but with slot still horizontal. I am sure it only works on the central locking one way.

Other way is manual locking

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
0 x

eddypeck
Supercharged
Drives: 1986 MK2 Golf GTI 8v

Postby eddypeck » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:54 pm

So, after doing some preliminary work during the previous weeks, removing the lower dash panels and vents etc on the weekend I went in deep and turned the car into a bomb site:

To liberate this:

And as expected:

The matrix was a Valeo one, date stamped 1991, the age of the car so fair to say it's the original so I'll be glad to get the new Hella one in there.

So all components hosed down to get rid of the worse parts of 28 years of dirt and debris before being taken inside for some attention:

Some arts and crafts time later, and making use of the currently empty conservatory, flaps and foam all sorted:

Meanwhile -

drain off this:

bin off this:

fit this and this:

In the process of trying to replace the thermostat the bolt for the housing sheered off:

Exactly what happened to me previously, and just like last time, after trying for a short while to remove the stump I decided it's much easier to just replace the whole water pump. Only £30 ish (think it was more like £20 last time) for a Febi one from B and B components. Should arrive tomorrow and I can continue.

I want to get it back together now, but I also want to continue stripping it to check it all out inside and get it all cleaned up properly. So I'm at the pivot point. Do I fix the heating/cooling and get it back together and deal with the interior later... or do I make a bigger job of it now and keep the car off the road for the coming weeks?
0 x

bacardincoke
VAG Rat
Drives: 1992 MK2 8v

Postby bacardincoke » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:24 pm

You're a brave man!

Like you're probably tempted to do, I'd want to keep going, but then that's how I've ended up with my car(s) in bits for so long.

The old me would have said go for it while you're already so far into the job, but the new me says don't over stretch, take on too many jobs at once and keep her on the road as much as possible.

Think of the fun you'll have doing some of it twice... look ahead to when you've got the car completely sorted out, you'll be wishing you'd more satisfying jobs like this to do.
0 x

Monkey
Site Admin
Drives: VWs, lots of them!

Postby Monkey » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:30 pm

To be honest mate, the weather is only going to get worse, in which time, you're going to get it dirty yourself.
Also, there are no meets for a while, so I say get it running again, give it a hoover and a once over with a damp cloth, then live with it until spring and hit it hard then.
1 x
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup

Mk2 BBM R32
Mk4 Anni Derv

rickygolf83
VAG Monkey

Postby rickygolf83 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:42 pm

I'd only be driving it on dry roads this time of year, and with no rain forecast. You dont want to give the underneath a salt bath!

So plenty of time to do the stuff you mentioned!

Salt might not be down as far south as you though......

0 x

eddypeck
Supercharged

Postby eddypeck » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:47 pm

Well the Mk5 is technically Carole's car so I'm on the bike full time at the moment, and it's been a wet couple of weeks, so yes, the wise move will be put it back together asap and enjoy the effective heating system.

I will be using it this time of year, although I'm not afraid to get wet on the bike so I'll split the time equally. Both will be harmed by road salt so there's no winner solution really. I'm not in a position to be precious about it. It's a car, I'm going to be driving it. But I will try to keep it clean over winter. Which may well include a good jet-wash of the under-body and arches.

Oh yeah, and the other thing I forgot to mention, whilst under it I managed to check out the coilovers finally. Disappointingly I discovered they are JOM after-all, the guy suggested they were about £270 which I thought was close to FK or AP money so I was hoping for something a bit better. So he either got ripped off, or simply got his numbers confused as JOMs can be had for more like £170 I thought.

Anyway that said, for cheap coilovers on 17" wheels, and tbf with tyres that don't have a massive amount of life left I do think the ride and handling is very very good. Not really pushed it that hard yet, and I'm sure I'll find the limits, but for now I'm on no rush to change any of it.... it'll do.
0 x

Damien.wrl
Site Admin
Drives: an armchair

Postby Damien.wrl » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:26 pm

Depends on how much time you can put into it, should imagine a good weekend could get you sorted .. no shopping trips , visits to in-laws or house diy , pretty sure you could do a fair bit with the dash back in and just one seat for commuting
0 x

1988 Alpine White 35k mile OCD MK2 GTi ".................. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=128

eddypeck
Supercharged

Postby eddypeck » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:51 pm

Well yesterday was an odd day. Bike broke down on the way to work, so when I got home I decided to sack off the day as an impromptu day off and as it was dry and bright get the car back together.

This thing of beauty had arrived earlier in the week so I had everything I needed

Fitted:
New Febi water pump
Tested Febi Thermostat - worked as expected so fitted with new topran housing
Fully refurbished heater box back in
New topran hoses to do away with the bypass valve
Dash back in with cleaned air pipes, refurbished vents etc.
System filled up and tested
Original steering wheel fitted back on, fairly certain the OMP deep dish wheel is fake
Carpets vacuumed as I created a big mess with all the dead foam

Sorry lack of photos, but I was busy getting it all done. But I did take these

The late spec carpets are rubbish, but at least the lack of pile makes them easy to clean.

I did a few other jobs, and still have plenty left to complete but at least I have warmth in the car and transport for work again.
0 x

rickygolf83
VAG Monkey

Postby rickygolf83 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:32 pm

Excellent progress

Did the old thermostat housing remain in one piece? Always good practice to have one on standby as you did; i didnt when i changed one in 2010 lol

0 x

Return to “Members Rides”