! Message from: vw-widow
Due to technically issues with this forum, we have created a new fresher looking forum - we are asking all members to register on https://www.vwgolfmk2.co.uk/clubforum sorry for any inconvenience.

If your a paid member, once you have registered, pm vw-widow with your details, and you will be re-instated.

Build threads etc can be copied and pasted to the new site, sadly we couldn't merge the database.

This site will close on the 1st June 2020. All data will be deleted.
Thanks Admin

Non start when hot on auto

Is your car playing up? Section includes conversion advice, temperature control, ECU and ignition problems.
eagle
OEM
Drives: Mk2 1.6 Auto

Postby eagle » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:24 pm

So today did a ton of miles the same as yesterday. Pulled over and switched off. Blinking thing would not start until it cooled down. I suspect the starter as sometimes it's growls once it starts and the key is switched back. Not the best of jobs to do on an auto but before I do are there perhaps any other suggestions that might help. No the one that says get a new car cos I've got another golf if need be :rock on:
0 x

eddypeck
Supercharged
Drives: 1991 MK2 Golf GTI 8v

Re: Non start when hot on auto

Postby eddypeck » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:31 pm

Define won’t start. It it trying, is it turning over of it it completely non responsive as if you had a dead battery (although I assume you have dash lights)

If the later I suspect you’re right with starter. And as you say it growls, I assume that could describe it getting stuck open once started... in the way a novice driver holds the key for too long - teaching my kids to drive atm so that’s topical.

Could be the connections or solenoid but chances are yes stater just bung a new one on, shouldn’t be too expensive and job done.
0 x

eagle
OEM
Drives: Mk2 1.6 Auto

Postby eagle » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:31 pm

Dash lights on and no attempt from the starter to turn over. I like the novice approach but it's true. Once it cooled down a bit it will start. New starter motor then I think. For those that don't know it lives under the exhaust manifold on an auto.
0 x

eddypeck
Supercharged
Drives: 1991 MK2 Golf GTI 8v

Postby eddypeck » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:45 am

I suppose additional heat from the exhaust long term won’t have helped it.
0 x

DoubleOSeven
OEM+
Drives: 1990 1.6 CL AUTO

Postby DoubleOSeven » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:52 pm

I have the same warm start issue. Can you post again if new starter resolves & any tips on fitting the replacement starter? Also running an auto. Ta!

Come to think of it my ‘84 bus had this issue until I replaced the starter, so EP is probably spot on.

Or, could it be this?

Carb. vapour trap

0 x
1990 CL 1.6 Automatic

Return to “Engine & Gearbox”