! Message from: vw-widow
Due to technically issues with this forum, we have created a new fresher looking forum - we are asking all members to register on https://www.vwgolfmk2.co.uk/clubforum sorry for any inconvenience.

If your a paid member, once you have registered, pm vw-widow with your details, and you will be re-instated.

Build threads etc can be copied and pasted to the new site, sadly we couldn't merge the database.

This site will close on the 1st June 2020. All data will be deleted.
Thanks Admin

Lock down plans

Talk about anything! (But keep it clean please!)
vw-widow
Site Admin
Drives: Hubby insane :D

Lock down plans

Postby vw-widow » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:05 am

Amongst all the chaos in the world today hope that you all stay well.

However if we go into a lock down, what’s your plans?

Mine is to source the leak in the Mk2, and attempt to fix, I think I would do a video on this more so for the amazement to others :)
1 x
2020 MK2OC National Meet @ Curborough Sprint Circuit 17-19th July 2020 ]

Help raise funds for the Club, if you normally shop online, go via http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/vwgolfmk2oc/ it costs you nothing!

Damien.wrl
Site Admin
Drives: an armchair

Re: Lock down plans

Postby Damien.wrl » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:50 am

The Mrs needs to decorate
1 x

1988 Alpine White 35k mile OCD MK2 GTi ".................. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=128

bacardincoke
VAG Rat
Drives: 92 Alpine White 8v 3-Door

Postby bacardincoke » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:41 pm

Lucky you, I get that job around here.

Had started late last year but didn't get it all done. Plan was to finish things in the spring but it could be a bit of a lottery relying on paint colours from on-line swatches, might end badly.

Probably get the Pug finished, if there is such a thing with old cars?
1 x

Rich
Dub Ninja
Drives: moped.

Postby Rich » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:24 pm

Build another diesel TT.
0 x
Poverty spec member.

Avid follower of EddiePeck's lunchtime project.

Monkey
Site Admin
Drives: VWs, lots of them!

Postby Monkey » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:04 am

I don't get to be in lockdown.

I work for one of the biggest dairys in the UK.
Oddly enough, we're rather busy at this point in time.

One day last week we outputted 4.2 million pints of milk!
0 x
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup

Mk2 BBM R32
Mk4 Anni Derv

eddypeck
Supercharged
Drives: 1991 MK2 Golf GTI 8v

Postby eddypeck » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:56 pm

Well it's all a bit shooter really! so lock down plans are just to get through it and keep our heads above water.

Facebook is plastered with people that seem to be on permanent holiday struggling to fill their days and are happily tinkering on the their motors... or spending 6 hours a day cleaning them. No such 'spare time' for me.

I am in a situation where it's perfectly viable to work from home and am therefore in my third week of doing so. Granted I get up a bit later and the dogs get a longer walk in the morning - because I'm only allowed out once. So I'm still doing full hours and actually seem to be working more and more productive than when I'm in the office, no distractions and a sense of needing to show the boss it's working.

The kids both work for Supermarkets, my son in distribution full time so is he's doing an essential job in all this and my daughter part time on checkouts so worryingly a front-line worker and therefore quite a risk but again an essential job right now, meanwhile college is offering online classes so she's busy.

My wife on the other hand was sent home last week, and we were hoping the government furlough scheme would help us out, but she hasn't been in the company long enough. She's a new starter and missed the deadline by a couple of days. So yesterday the company made her redeundant as they can't keep her on payroll. Obviously job hunting right now is pointless and the local supermarkets that were emergency hiring temps last week have filled all those rolls. So struggling for years we were just beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Not sure what the future brings, the Mk2 is now SORN, as is my motorbike and my sons car which I use occasionally. His driving lessons have been cancelled anyway and I can't take him out. Clinging to the positive that I'm currently still working and we're not sick at least and just hoping the kids don't bring it home.

Sorry to put a downer on it but needed somewhere to offload :lol:
0 x

Kenneth cartwright
VAG Rat
Drives: 1989 gti valver

Postby Kenneth cartwright » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:27 pm

Gonna try and redo wiring on electric windows..again.. maybe rocker cover gasket to rubber.
0 x
:jackson:
On the drive mk1 cabbies and mk2 gti valver.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... x_JGYs-zRI

bacardincoke
VAG Rat

Postby bacardincoke » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:31 am

I missed the start of it, but there was an Italian academic being interviewed about the impact of the virus in his country.

He said that the universities there had been discussing implementing distance learning for decades but hadn't ever done anything about it.

They have just completely switched over to it within a week.

He was speculating that when life does eventually return to 'normal' it's very likely changes such as this one will continue either partially or wholly.

Maybe you'll soon no longer have to do that daily commute every day!
0 x

eddypeck
Supercharged
Drives: 1991 MK2 Golf GTI 8v

Postby eddypeck » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:39 am

Funnily enough in the previous few months when Greta's campaign for climate change seemed to gain ground with her trip to UK I was having the discussion how I remember it being predicted about 10 years or more ago that home working would be the way forward, with modern tech many office based employees didn't need to be sat at a desk in a physical place of work. Had this happened years ago the climate may be in a better state, yet almost overnight it happens worldwide as a side effect to another issue.

Over the past 25+ years I always had some kind of daily commute, the most being 70 miles one way and currently 30 miles. Whilst my current employer has had it set up for home work for as long as I've been there (9 years) it has been frowned upon as he likes to keep track on everyone.

However I find myself now working better and being more productive from home, there are no distractions I'm comfortable and not tired or aggravated from travelling. All of my work is logged so my boss can account for every minute I work. I'm having less tea/coffee breaks and actually eating less. Rather than making a large packed lunch the night before I just stop for a sandwich or snack.

Whilst isolation is extreme right now, I'm still having a daily video based catch up and a few longer video based group meetings per week.

I really hope the positive outcome of this is a new dawn of working practices. I'd happily go into the office once or twice a week but I don't see the need to continue doing 300 miles, spending around 7 hours a week in a car.
0 x

bacardincoke
VAG Rat

Postby bacardincoke » Tue May 05, 2020 12:31 pm

We live out in the country so keeping a car clean with the farmers tractors doing what they do is nigh on impossible.

Having said that my daily hasn't seen water for about 2 months, nor has it turned a wheel for most of that time either.

Found this, this morning growing from behind the front mud flap... a rolling stone and all that !

0 x

Return to “General Chat”