Skip to main content
Topic: Wing mount "speed nut" bracket - fabrication question (Read 514 times) previous topic - next topic

Wing mount "speed nut" bracket - fabrication question

Hi,

I'm pretty new to fabrication and welding. I am rebuilding the lower A pillar and not sure what to do about the wing mounting.

I've bought  one of these (yet to be delivered) https://www.heritagepartscentre.com/uk/n0120622-speed-nut-for-wing-fitting.html thinking the solution is to replicate the original.

It looks a bit square in the pics - has anyone done this repair? Do I drill a hole in my new panel to locate this bracket - Not sure it will hold with it being square-ish? Any other solutions?

Cheers
Matt

Re: Wing mount "speed nut" bracket - fabrication question

Reply #1
You can get a square hole drill. Or make round hole and file to size.. not fitted 1 so can't say for certain if will hold tight in round hole.

Re: Wing mount "speed nut" bracket - fabrication question

Reply #2
Cheers! I've had another idea since that is probably easier - rivnut with a screw & I can drill with wing in situ.

Just completed the repair and have done a coat of epoxy and some seam sealer so far. Will do another epoxy and then stone chip under the sill part and dinitrol or gravitex behind the wing. First ever weld job and it definitely shows on the welds but ground them back and got th this stage (I am a novice!)

This is the next job in the drivers arch. It had rotted around the brake line bracket. I did butt welding on the sill part and found it difficult with blow throught. I was thinking of lap welding this but undecided (fuel lines have been pushed out the way and will use a glove to protect them)