Skip to main content
Topic: WTB - Golf Mk3 GTi (Read 1240 times) previous topic - next topic

WTB - Golf Mk3 GTi

Hi,
We are looking for a Mk3 GTi as a donor car for our Mk2.
Preferably a runner that we can drive home and the nearer the south east the better.
What have you got?
Phil
All sorts of stuff done, lots more to do!

Re: WTB - Golf Mk3 GTi

Reply #2
I've just put up a post elsewhere about used car prices in general.

There's other posts from a year or more ago discussing MK2 and other classic prices.

My interest back then was getting the correct insurance cover for the 205 after it'd had so much done to it.

Long story short the valuers estimation matched Hagerty's valuation tool to the penny, so he either hit the nail on the head or didn't earn his money and did a quick Google instead.

https://www.hagerty.co.uk/valuation/tool/results/?y=1991&mk=Volkswagen&md=Golf&sm=GTI+Mk+II&b=Hatchback

I can't recall what they were estimating for Mk2's at that time to say if they've changed but I've redone the 205 and it's gone up by £1400.00.

Seems to reinforce the idea that classic prices are currently going up too.

Good if you're a speculator / investor, bad if you like MK2's.

Reply #3
8v or 16v and what's your budget? price increases are filtering down to mk3s now, they're no longer the disposable, pick up cheap, cars they once were.

I'm not able to help directly but happy to keep an eye out.

Thanks Eddy.
I'm after an 8v. Budget is sub £1k. They are popping up. Went to see one the other day which would have been great but the guy wanted slightly too much and was a bit weird so I walked away. Hopefully going to look at another at the weekend. It's a shame Mk4s are so much less compatible because they are very common and dirt cheap.
Phil

Reply #4
Ok I think I have the solution.... The mk4 convertible is the perfect donor. It's often referred to as the mk3.5. It's basically a mk3 convertible with a front end facelift that looks like a mk4 but isn't mk4 parts.

The 2.0 8v engine is decent not sure if it's exactly the same as a mk3 8v, you might need to double check which models are available. It uses CE2 electrics and the running gear, brakes etc is all mk3.

The front end is unique to the convertible so it's neither mk3 or mk4 but apparently mk3 convertible owners are happy to buy the body panels to update the look. Wings bonnet etc are all important so if in good condition you'll be able to sell on and offset your original purchase price. Seats in convertibles are often leather too which can be converted to mk2 or sold to mk3 owners if that's not your thing.

And they're cheap!

Reply #6
There are 2 8v 2.0ltr engines (at least) in the 3.5 cabby. The AGG and ADY I believe, the ADY being s a cross flow engine.

I sold my 3.5 agg cabby few years ago for £300 so is worth an option to consider

Reply #7
Currently a really nice colour concept, lowish miles and freshly re-trimmed leather on ebay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133797011283?hash=item1f26ec5f53:g:mg0AAOSw~llg0zoa
Thanks Eddy,
Yes Mk3.5 is a good option. I've seen that one on Ebay and it looks like a good option but it's a 4-5 hour drive from me. I shall hang out for something much closer to home.
Phil

Reply #8
How soon do you need/want and would you consider just the engine.

Reply #9
There is no rush but I have a garage waiting for it to go in. I'd rather have the whole car because that way when stuff comes out I can make notes etc about how it goes back. Especially wiring. I also need the tank and fuel lines etc etc. The other thing is with a whole car I know for sure it runs and how it runs.  Also, as Eddy says, there is some money to be made back on selling what I don't want.
Phil

Reply #10
There is no rush but I have a garage waiting for it to go in. I'd rather have the whole car because that way when stuff comes out I can make notes etc about how it goes back. Especially wiring. I also need the tank and fuel lines etc etc. The other thing is with a whole car I know for sure it runs and how it runs.  Also, as Eddy says, there is some money to be made back on selling what I don't want.

Yeah it is a good route to go if got the room. Also can drive it round for a few weeks if got MOT etc.

Just asking as planning on pulling my 2.0 8v agg.

Reply #11
We now have one, thanks for looking.
Phil