Skip to main content
Topic: E10 fuel (Read 671 times) previous topic - next topic

E10 fuel

I’ve been speaking to different people and heard lots of things. Either the premium fuel at Esso or Shell. Does anybody know which fuel is best to use as the country phases into use of e10 fuel?

Re: E10 fuel

Reply #1
Companies change the mix all the time. I had a high performance car a little while ago and at the time shell was thought to be the best as its octane rating was slightly higher.
scs

Reply #2
Dunno about Shell,but Esso says that their Super Unleaded sometimes contains no Ethenol,even though it says E5.

Reply #3
All I know is E10 is not that great, both my 6n2 and my lawn mower agree.
Long term not so sure how it will fair with plastic pipes etc on the MK2’s even if VW say all is well.
If its not got a VAG badge, I aint interested.

Reply #4
I live in a smallish out-of-the way town, we have a Tesco and a Texaco. I don't even think the Texaco offer a 'super' so it's Tesco Momentum 99 for me.

My regular commute to work is all motorway (so ignoring the services) there's only an Asda at the other end of my journey. The Asda dose not offer any super.

This has been my situation for over 10 years, and numerous cars and motorbikes.

My current mk5 and mk2 are both GTIs and according to the sticker in the fuel flap require higher octane fuel anyway so it has been and will always be super so the E10 debate doesn't really come into play for me for as long as super stays at E5.

I did put Super in my current motorbike ZRX1200 prior to E10, but I will certainly continue now E10 is in play.

I did once have to put Esso Super in my previous mk2 (8v K-jet) and it ran really really bad, maybe it was a bad batch or contaminated tank, but I haven't been to that filling station since.

Occasionally I would get caught out and have to fill up at the work end of my journey and have used Asda standard unleaded (pre-E10 not done that in a long while) and I can confirm all of my vehicles run better and provide more mpg on super so it's worth the extra money. And with the introduction of E10 on standard fuel I will certainly only be using Super so I need to make sure I fill up at my end and have enough for the journey home.

I think maybe on a motorbike you get a better sense of the 'running' of the vehicle so whilst the benefits of super may go unnoticed in a car I can 100% confirm everything is just a little smother and more responsive on a bike running super.

On a side note, I explained the situation to my daughter and advised she fill up her 2008 Fiesta occasionally with super and top up with standard before going totally empty, therefore always diluting the E10 down to say E7/8 .... we were talking the other day and I found out since this conversation she's just stuck with Super all the time. Her replay was "I don't want that nasty poo in my car at all" - Good girl!