Skip to main content
Topic: My BAM engine swap (Read 2848 times) previous topic - next topic

My BAM engine swap

Going to start a thread of my entire BAM engine swap into my mk2 1.8 Driver.
There is dozens of threads that seem to cover small sections and each has various options included.
:)

Montana Green 1.8 Carby 3 door                                                                                                                         1.8t swap in progress

My BAM engine swap

Reply #1
So here is my 1991 Mk2 Golf 1.8 Driver.
Not the perfect base for the 20VT conversion but it will work.

And here is my 2002 Mk1 Audi TT 225 BAM donor car.
 I Brought this car from Alex from CarThrottle with a knackered power steering pump.
I am currently selling the parts off to fund the engine swap and the Mk2 overall.

See https://www.carthrottle.com/post/why-ive-given-up-fixing-my-soul-destroying-mk1-audi-tt-bam/

I am going to keep this thread updated with everything I do so I have something to look back on and hopefully help others with the issues I face.
Montana Green 1.8 Carby 3 door                                                                                                                         1.8t swap in progress

My BAM engine swap

Reply #2
So to start with, Brakes.

The setup I am going to use is the 16V GTI front and rear. Some might say it is not man enough for a 1.8t  however upgrading to G60's after is relatively easy should the 16V setup not be effective enough.

This post is about the front setup. 256mm discs

As I am coming from a 91 1.8 driver it is slightly easier than some options.

For the 16V front setup you will need different bearing carriers to the standard models. There are many places and cars that these carriers come from however I found a set on E-bay for £65. When changing these it is common sense to change your wheel bearings at the same time, these cost £33.
Note- These bearing carriers require the 19mm Lower ball joint so if coming from pre-88 you will need this as well.

The callipers I picked up needed some work however were in relatively good condition. I layered them with paint stripper and had them back to metal in no time. A can of Anti-rust primer later they were ready to be painted.
The paint I went for was the K2 Brake calliper paint as I have used it before and it performed well.
I used the Frentech calliper rebuild kit and it was great, had everything needed.
Note- Make sure you leave old bleed nipples in the hole and plug the brake line hole with another bolt or some tissue to ensure you don't paint your threads.

How I got them

Callipers in primer

Them completed ( Apologies for upside down photo)

The brake discs are Tarox G88 slotted discs which a local guy had for sale for £50
My brake pad choice is  EBC GreenStuff brake pads which I got for £60. I chose these for practical day to day driving

I decided to go for some brake dust shields with the setup, there isn't really any reason for this I just thought why not.

When I purchased the car it came with new front wishbones. I will take this as a chance to finally get them on and leave my front setup immaculate.

Brake discs- £50
Brake pads- £60
Brake callipers- £38
Calliper rebuild kit- £33
Calliper Paint & Primer- £25
Brake dust shields- £19         (Optional)
Bearing Carrier- £65
Wheel bearing kit- £33        

Overall cost- £323

I will upload some photos once fitted, If you want a link to any of the parts or any advice feel free to PM me.

Re: My BAM engine swap

Reply #3
Hi, I did wonder if we'd see Alex's old TT appear when he said he'd sold it to a guy putting it into a mk2.

I did a guide a few years back on the 1.8t conversions.
https://www.vwgolfmk2.co.uk/clubforum/index.php?topic=129.msg301#msg301

The prices may be a little out nowadays, but the core data should still be applicable.

Looking forward to seeing this one progress, Montana is one of my favourite colours on a mk2
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #4
Ah wow, the very first piece that I read up for the 1.8T conversion was your "Monkeys guide to 1.8ting your mk2".
Through deciding the brake upgrade I just spent ages searching through old forums. I don't understand why they aren't as popular anymore.

I'll make sure to keep it updated every time something gets done.

My BAM engine swap

Reply #5
Todays Job was an exciting one! :-\

Heater Matrix, which then obviously turned into re-foaming the heater box and cleaning it up. Not to mention the enormous amounts of crusty foam that get left in the footwells.

Before doing the job I looked on here for a possible guide or tips and found nothing (hence I am writing this).

I found a video guide on You-tube that describes most of the process for you.

https://youtu.be/LwTvqu62oIA

It is a pretty good video however the one thing it did miss out cost me about an hour and a half's worth of struggle.
In the engine bay there are 3 nuts onto 3 studs that are connected to the heater box. Make sure to get these off before you start pulling on the thing to get it out.

The Heater box fresh out of the car

And I found the matrix to still be the original one it left the factory with which somehow hadn't exploded awfully

Obviously the matrix had a slight leak

And it left behind a reasonable amount of coolant

After a while of cleaning out the box of coolant and foam I re-foamed it and put it back in, bled the system and now had working heating that doesn't fog up the windscreen.

During the whole ordeal I discovered a broken window regulator which is Saturdays job.

Heater matrix- £25
Box foam- £10?
Coolant- £25

Reply #6
It has been way to long since I last posted in here so It is time to get back into it!

Quite a lot has happened since last time so it may take a while to get up to date.

Window Regulator.

I was surprised at how easy this was, simply door-card off, old unit out, new unit in and back together.
To compare on a 2012 Polo I recently did you have to do the regulator through two tiny little access ports (not the 15 minute job it is on the Mk2)

A photo of the bare door with the broken regulator inside

Broken regulator cable

In doing the job I rounded off the window winder handle, luckily I had a spare laying around.

Then I was left with a working window!

Reply #7
Next job,

Boot sound deadening using DODOMat, fitting the BAF Motorsport K-brace and fitting carpeted rear arches.

Before Sound deadening I had to scrape off some very crusty old foam but the end result was worth it!

After the sound deadened base we were ready to fit the K-brace

It was great to fit and really seemed to help stiffen the rear end up.

The Carpeted arches also went in at the same time!

Reply #8
Next was an exciting addition, I had little to no involvement in, I just purchased the rear bench (I opted for solid without the 60-40 split) They were then sent off for Re-upholstering.

They came back looking absolutely amazing

Reply #9
Next is a huge visual improvement to the car.

Wheel Refurbishment time.

The wheels had had a respray when the last owner purchased them but they had since caused quite a lot of damage to them.

On top of this two centre-caps had gone missing so I had these custom made to suit the wheels

The wheels needed straightening to remove the buckle from the Lip but since the refurb they are immaculate

A huge thanks to City Wheel refurb in Birmingham for doing such a great job on these 10/10 Recommend

Reply #10
With the car up in the air for the wheel refurbishment I decided it was a brilliant idea to start doing the front brake upgrade.
(It wasnt)

I started off with De-assembly and if your on the Facebook group you may recall me asking for sugestions on how to remove a bolt snapped in the subframe mounting. See below.

This obviously snapped with the wishbone and the bush still inside. This meant about two days off cutting and grinding the wishbone out and then attempting to remove the bush. Eventually it all came out. I was left with just the bolt which somehow came out with some plumbers grips.

The new polyurethane bushed wishbone along with refurbished bearing carriers with fresh wheel bearings and hubs.

Fresh discs pads and callipers all in place

I got everything plumbed in with new hard lines from the T-piece and new brake hoses
(With no thanks to heritage, I ordered braided brake lines 3 times and never received the correct kit

Reply #11
Did you consider using the brakes from the TT?

Reply #12
Did you consider using the brakes from the TT?
I did look into it but if failed for a number of reasons, mainly fitting inside wheels, I think they required a minimum of 17" wheels and obviously required a swap to 5X100 when I wanted to run my 4X100.

It just seemed like more effort than it was worth, If I decide I need an upgrade there are loads of upgrade kits including the G60 setup which just needs new callipers discs and pads

Reply #13
Just a heads up, if you want to, you can fit 312s under 15s and still retain 4x100
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v