Skip to main content
Topic: car radios (Read 1254 times) previous topic - next topic

car radios

edit feb 21, 2022: i no longer want to give away those 4 radios. sry 4 the fuzz.

would anybody be interested in one of these:

the upper one is from ebay.
it makes a new impression and smells like it,
i just removed the radio support spigot
(and some gew it was glued on with) for 3d modelling
and put it back after (it is tight without gew).

the 2nd, 3rd and maybe the 4th where factory fitted in our mk2's.

edit feb 20, 2022: the 4th, we apparently got from a scrapyard.

edit feb 21, 2022: again: i no longer want to give away those 4 radios.

Re: car radios

Reply #1
The switches on second one look similar to Corrado or Passat

Reply #2
i would be interested in the blaupunkt the bottom of the stack
scs

Reply #3
@sly_gti you mean the beta ? it should be out of a gl.

@scs fine. what to do now ? :-)

do you have something in exchange,
i would be interested in ?
you don't have mud flaps, do you ?
or should we maybe pn about details ?

how does it work with the customs ?

Reply #5
@sly_gti the casetteless alpha is out of a late cl

where there different casetteless radios supplied with them ?

Reply #6
Here cars came to the dealer without a radio. However VW specified a radio for your model and the dealer fitted it. At the time of negotiating your deal you could specify a radio up grade and as many GTi buyers did a 16v bee sting ariel.

Reply #7
while browsing around, i found the beta in the german 1991 g60 brochure on page 22-23. it was linked here.

admins may move this threat to mk2 chat.

Reply #8
the blaupunkt sc202 had no stub, so i added one:

you guys often do not have this frame on (part number TJG 165 035 464A):

why is that ?

Reply #9
We don't have radio frames because when the car was broken into in 1990 and the radio was stolen the frame was broken and not replaced.  Until recently it was a difficult part to source, uncommon used and not available new.  I think replicas are now available?

Original radio with frame:

Reply #10
I presume the frame has been lost or stolen over the years. Often discarded with radios were upgraded, or maybe never fitted as export cars did not come with factory fitted radios.

Probably due to radio theft being a problem on the ships when transported around the world. But I'm guessing.

Customers were able to choose a radio at the time of purchase from the local VW dealer, Panasonic were usually offered rather than the Blaupunkt.

Reply #11
I presume the frame has been lost or stolen over the years. Often discarded with radios were upgraded, or maybe never fitted as export cars did not come with factory fitted radios.

Probably due to radio theft being a problem on the ships when transported around the world. But I'm guessing.

Customers were able to choose a radio at the time of purchase from the local VW dealer, Panasonic were usually offered rather than the Blaupunkt.

Almost; the VW's brochure specified the radio for you model.  In 1989 8v GTi cars came with a Panasonic, 16v cars came with a Blaupunkt.  However these were fit buy the dealer before delivery.  Some buyers haggled a Blaupunkt upgrade for their 8v GTi and some even had a bee sting fitted before delivery.

Edit; checked the brochure and Blaupunkt is specified for 16v.  A functional radio is the only specification for GTi.  I do remember though at the time 8v GTi buyers got a Panasonic unless they haggled.

Reply #12
Does anyone know if any of the 4 radios shown were factory fitted in the 1991 Golf Driver?
Its the last piece of the puzzle to get my car to be fully original but cannot find which radio I need.
Thanks

Reply #13
Does anyone know if any of the 4 radios shown were factory fitted in the 1991 Golf Driver?
Its the last piece of the puzzle to get my car to be fully original but cannot find which radio I need.
Thanks
If you go to Technical Technical OEM Brochures there is a 1991 brochure there and it may show or specify the radio. I can’t get past the cookies screen on my phone but I wouldn’t be surprised if it where a pull out Sony.

Reply #14
UK 1991 (1992 model year run out) of the Ryder / Driver / GTD and 8v GTi's had the Panasonic pull out CQ H05 specified as standard equipment.

16V's differed and moved up from the previous Blaupunkt to the RDS Panasonic RD05 in their final model year.

H05's aren't particularly scarce or expensive, no need to jump on the first one you see.