Skip to main content
Topic: Gordon the Golf (8v GTi 1989) (Read 16515 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Gordon the Golf (8v GTi 1989)

Reply #315
Whilst we are on the subject of the plastic "pins". The ones on my seat rail covers have gone AWOL. Any thoughts on where I get replacements?
Thinking.....kite spars may do the biz if I haven't binned the old kites!
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #316
Whilst we are on the subject of the plastic "pins". The ones on my seat rail covers have gone AWOL. Any thoughts on where I get replacements?
Mine are missing too Andy, my covers are just sitting lose. Let me know if you find any or buy some spares 👍🏻

Reply #317
A tip for anybody wanting to reuse their original screen rubbers.  These were solid with rust and no amount of scrubbing or scraping was going to shift it.
Brush phosphoric acid in there and it dissolves in a flash:

Reply #318
My seat rail covers are secured by a chunky self tapper.

Reply #319
Glass etched with the reg number, a 1980s security feature to make the car less likely to be stolen for parts.  Got a frame for it   ;D

That nut for the wiper arm needs plating.  Does it just spin off or do I need to hold the other side?

Reply #320
If I remember correctly you can just undo that nut. I believe the motor is held in-place with 2/3 bolts on the other side.
Probs worth putting some Lube on the outside whilst you have the arm off. My rear wiper rusted-up and stopped working a few years ago.
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #321
Yeah, you can just pin that one off. Should be fine,

And now I have something else I need to plate too!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #322
A Facebook group member has asked for details of standard PB engine bay wire routing.  A small number of routes are very slightly out of position but they are as close as I could get having shortened some wires.  Posted here so the pictures are not lost in Facebook history: