Skip to main content
Topic: Mk2 golf gti 8v tax cost in 1991 (Read 528 times) previous topic - next topic

Mk2 golf gti 8v tax cost in 1991

Hi all,

I found a tax disc from 1991 in the service booklet and wanted to put it in the windscreen, but its faded. I just filled it out but i dont know what the price of tax was back then.

Does anyone know a good way of finding out?

Thanks

Re: Mk2 golf gti 8v tax cost in 1991

Reply #1
It should be written on it, perhaps it is faded out. From memory I think it was £135 for engines larger than 1600cc. I’d have to take a look at some of my old discs.

Reply #2
Hithanks for the reply
I forgot to mention, the ink had faded so was unreadable, i could just make out the reg but cant see the cost.
I’ll keep researching online and see what i come across

Reply #3
Unlike cars after 2001 it was a fixed price. One price for up to 1600cc and a higher price for anything over which is still the structure today for us... anyway. Car tax pretty much goes up a fiver every year and has done for as long as I can remember. Find the earliest you can and count back the years in £5's and you won't be far off.

Another idea, take the disc you've got and scan it onto a computer. You can then play with the contrast and brightness of the image and see if that helps bring up any of the lettering. The same might work with taking a photo on your phone and playing with some filters but might not be as successful.

Reply #4
Just noted this post on the MK2 FB page.
1991 Tax Disc

Might have been £100

What happens if you look at the tax disc at an angle under a light. There might be a faint difference where the print/writing was.
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #5
I thought I had my old tax discs, when I checked yesterday I only had the last one, £230.
Checked my order form, I paid £100 for 12 months tax in 1989. I don’t know when the tax increased, possibly when the 1600 break point was introduced?