Skip to main content
Topic: Martins 1989 8v GTI Helios Blue, build thread (my old car) (Read 1999 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: My old 8v Helios Blue, build thread now Martins

Reply #15
So coming to the end of the build thread but have just been sent a 1.6gig folder of pictures from Martin so I will edit the thread and add in extra pics as needed, been a bit of a task but he wanted it documented as the car has a full history file, with the whole service book stamped up and everything I did has receipts and I wrote everything down with dates, I'm just as anal as Martin lol.

He would like to thank a few people who have helped, namely the 3 amigos who have helped him with the build, Jonny, Stevie and Aidy, they have really done a lot for him and donated some spare parts they had themselves.

Brendon Moss and Daz Preston for sourcing parts.

Myself for spending late nights finding part numbers and finding parts on the net, sadly I couldn't physically help due to lockdown and the distance he lives from me but as I knew everything I did and I knew the car inside out I helped via phone.

I owned it 20 years and it has took him 20 months to bring it to this, I am chuffed to bits for him and I am glad to see it back to it's former glory and some more!!

It has had delays and covid hasn't helped but he got there and it was recently MOT'd and flew through with no advisories.

This was it 20 years ago when I fitted Sebrings..

and this is it now...

Here is link for all of the build pics as there are a lot more, 1.6GB of them https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zPBnieLLUqpJZOiK1Vpzf2LCgLPljjs7/view?usp=sharing

Re: Martins 1989 8v GTI Helios Blue, build thread (my old car)

Reply #16
Well done, that looks fantastic!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #17
Martin had a bit of a bum clenching moment, Putting the car in the garage he put the lights on and smoke started pouring out the dash, frantically grabbed a 10mm spanner and disconnected the battery, dash removed and found this....

Looks like the switch has shorted taking part of the loom with it!

Reply #18
Already said Wow! to you... have to say it all over again now that I've gone through the thread.

Scary, scary episode with the switch - Must've been some major puckering going on when the smoke started to rise, did it all work out OK in the end?

Reply #19
Already said Wow! to you... have to say it all over again now that I've gone through the thread.

Scary, scary episode with the switch - Must've been some major puckering going on when the smoke started to rise, did it all work out OK in the end?

Yeah he got it rewired but it did it again shortly after, turns out it was to do with the dim dip resistor he had removed, CE1 must be wired different as a sparks removed the wiring and fixed it, seems all good now, second time it happened he had the indicator on to pull into a petrol station and removing the ignition key which put on the drivers side parking light and it fried, I traced the burn on the multiplug location to right side driver and rear light so it tied in.

Reply #20
Well done with this one guys! It’s properly awesome! Shame about the switch but glad he caught it early!

Reply #21
Well had a nice surprise visit from Martin today in the Golf, it is mint, I'm really impressed what he has done and it drives like a new car, took me back to 20 years ago when I bought it, fits like a glove!!

Reply #22
Hope he remembers he's only looking after it 'till you get it back.

Reply #23
Money was chatted, out my range I think!

Reply #24
Well that's the end of that, CAT B write off!!  :'(

Reply #26
What a shame. Hopefully no injuries. 

Reply #27
That's a sad sight. I'm sure you're gutted.
Would you consider building the good bits into a different shell? Or buy a lowly model in excellent condition which doesn't have the GTI premium price and upgrade it.
I've been noticing a few auto Drivers at reasonable prices, admittedly 5 door like mine that I might be tempted to do the same if the dreaded happens.

Edit....I mainly use my phone to scan/update posts. Just realised you used to own this!
Good to hear no injuries.

1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #28
Yeah Martin is fine, was only a 20 ish mph crash, guy pulled out on him and admitted full liability, chassis leg is bent and the floor so thy have put a CAT B on it, he's bought it back just for parts but the shell will have to be scrapped, was agreed value so the build cost is mostly covered.

He has a deposit down on a nice big bumper one.

Reply #29
I was following this MK2 out of vw fest this year and telling my mrs how much I loved it. Sorry to see its been written off