Skip to main content
Topic: New Members Say Hi! (Read 507 times) previous topic - next topic

New Members Say Hi!

Hi everyone
                     I’ve a 91’ 3 door Oak Green 16v original spec less eibach springs with the factory option electric Recaro interior
I’ve owned it since 2007 but now been off the road since 2010 and I will be looking for support from this forum  (moral  and technical  :o )as I attempt to re commission (again)
I had a good go a few years back with all front suspension and new brake lines throughout but life got in the way since
I’m nearer retirement than an apprenticeship and had several Mk2’s and 3’s ‘back in the day’ and my dad had a Mk1 1600 Gti (that I’d love to find)

Is there a re-commission guide? I’ve removed plugs, oiled bores etc but not dropped the tank etc as yet

Thanks, Rich

Re: New Members Say Hi!

Reply #1
Hi Rich,

Welcome to the forum!
We don't have a guide per se, but you're ticking off the main ones.
You'll need new perishable items, like cam/auxiliary belt, think they have a life of 4-5 years.
I'd see how you get on with the rubber hoses, but have a good look at the tyres and probably change them as a mater of course.
I probably wouldn't drop the tank, just short out the fuel pump relay while the pipe is in a bucket, let it pump it all through, put some fresh in, pump a little more to flush the lines, then button everything back up with a new filter. Just don't let the pump run dry.
Also, get some photos up, we like to see progress pics!

Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #2
Hi. Welcome along, not a specific guide but loads of archived information and knowledgeable people.

I'd say run through all the basic service items.
Fresh fluids, inc. coolant, brake fluid and maybe even gear oil
Check and replace the perishables as required (rubber pipes, brake flexies, boots, bushes etc).
Tyres and brakes
New battery, fresh fuel have a good look all around and then pop it in for an MOT and see what's what.

Warning: being a 16v this has Bosch K-Jet, continuous (mechanical) injection system (CIS) smooth reliable operation depends on 2 key parts, fuel pressure and vacuum. It's a simple system in principle, but it's sensitive and a simple fault such as a slight air leak can render it useless.  Because of this and the lack of experts around these days it's gets some bad press, but it's a great system when working and easily tuneable. Was used in pretty much everything back in the day from Volvos to Supercars.

Some handy links - K-jet stuff https://www.vwgolfmk2.co.uk/clubforum/index.php?topic=114.0
and there should be a tune your 16v guide published by Rubjonny but I can't find it right now
Good luck.

Reply #3
Hi Rich,

Welcome to the forum!
We don't have a guide per se, but you're ticking off the main ones.
You'll need new perishable items, like cam/auxiliary belt, think they have a life of 4-5 years.
I'd see how you get on with the rubber hoses, but have a good look at the tyres and probably change them as a mater of course.
I probably wouldn't drop the tank, just short out the fuel pump relay while the pipe is in a bucket, let it pump it all through, put some fresh in, pump a little more to flush the lines, then button everything back up with a new filter. Just don't let the pump run dry.
Also, get some photos up, we like to see progress pics!

Ah, typing at the same time.  :)) yeah, I meant to say no need to drop the tank it's plastic so should be clear of rust inside if that's what your thinking was? Also worth noting if you don't know there are 2 fuel pumps, a lift pump in the tank and a main high-pressure pump under the car. Check both are working, if the in tank pump fails the under car pump can cope for a while and the car will run, but eventually the under car pump will die and that's the EXPENSIVE one!

Reply #4
Thanks all for the replies and welcome. I’m fairly ok mechanically and from a manufacturing background but the Fuel injection element, ecu, and anything associated with ‘wires’, relays  etc scares the life out of me so will be consulting
I’ve spent too long pondering social media bare metal restorations and show-ponies with the aspiration of achieving that instead of getting an MoT on it and driving and enjoying so onwards and upwards

Reply #5
welcome to the forum good luck with the resto.