Skip to main content
Topic: Intermitant "click" when steering (Read 868 times) previous topic - next topic

Intermitant "click" when steering

I've got an annoying "click" when I'm turning the steering wheel. It doesn't appear to happen with the steering wheel in the same position. I'm wondering if it is the top bearing in the steering column but how do I go about changing it?
I can only assume that it is due to "resting" my weight on the steering wheel when I get in and out of the car.
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Re: Intermitant "click" when steering

Reply #2
Have you tried jacking both front wheels of the ground and rotating the steering wheel.
scs

Reply #3
I know it isn't the cowling because I've only recently put in back on.
The indicators don't auto cancel on left turns, not sure how that works.
I haven't jacked the front wheels up so I will try that.
L90E has shared a steering column diagram. It looks like there is just a bush not a bearing at the top of the column so my thought that it was a worn bearing is wrong.
Thanks, time for further testing.

Reply #4
Technically it is a bearing at the top of the column its all part of the steering lock assy I think. As your indicator does not self cancel it could have some connection with the click. Have you removed the steering wheel? it is possible that its not located correctly.
scs

Reply #5
@AndyBa

Saw this and thought of you!

On a different note... can you guess what muppetry caused me to be looking at that?

Reply #6
Hehe. Not sure, were you trying to find a random part for the next Test Your Knowledge submission? :D
Interesting photo tho. It shows a top bearing with what look like ball bearings.
I've parked driveway investigations the 'click' for the moment.

Reply #7
Contrary to the diagram it is indeed, looks to be pressed in too.

Put the dash back in today to discover I should really have put the top half of the steering column cowling on first!

Proved much easier to just pull out the steering column rather than do the dash all over again.

Reply #8
I managed to drop my sterring column to refit the cowling top.
Not sure if I have noted down previously about my ignition lock repair...
The key was getting more difficult to turn in the lock even after "the wriggle" so I removed it. Harrolds Locksmiths in Sheffield fitted replacement wafers and normality has returned. It only cost £30 too. Result.

Reply #9
eventually....
I ordered a new steering lock from B&B, bit the bullet and fitted it yesterday. It was a PitA getting the large spline adaptor off but I managed it by modifying a ball joint splitter. My thumb knuckle got a grazing from the hacksaw but it'll recover in a few days.
What a difference it's made. Went for a countryside drive with Mum today and there's no looseness or lumpy feeling through the steering wheel, a nicer driving experience - Result.