Skip to main content
Topic: Seats (Read 1721 times) previous topic - next topic

Seats

Ignoring the upholstery as that has it's own thread, https://www.vwgolfmk2.co.uk/clubforum/index.php?topic=35.0
This topic is about the seat structure and there are a few variations.

Rear Bench
I'll start with the rear bench as there's less variation there as it's mostly stayed the same across all years.

There are 2 types for the Golf, a full width rear bench and a 1/3 - 2/3 split folding seat. The only difference over the years was early seats had a carpeted rear panel, later it was just a hardboard panel.

The Jetta rear bench is slightly different and has a 'ski' hatch to access the boot.

Front Seats
The main variation is between early and late seat frames.
And obviously 3 and 5 door models, where the 5 door back is fixes and the 3 door has to flip for rear passenger access.

Early vs Late
Early on the left, late on the right.
Late is more curved on the front end and the side bolsters are angled lower/wider.
Later also has a horizontal stitch line across the base.
The other easy way to tell is the 'ejector seat' style lever for the height adjust on later seats, on early it's a horizontal lever.

Early Seats (GTI)

Late Seats (GTI)

Frames
The frame bases are considerable different between early and late.

This time Late on the left, early on the right.

For GTI frames on early cars the bolster bars are welded to the frame. Meaning the foam is just shaped foam. For non-GTI early cars the bolster bars are missing and the foam is lower. Meaning you cannot use non-GTI seat bases with GTI parts or vice versa unless you cut off the bars.

On later seats all seat bases are the same, the bolster bars for GTI seats are within the foam. Meaning you can use any seat frame on any model as long as you swap the appropriate foam pad too.

EARLY the seat bases are the same whether 3dr or 5 dr, the backs are the same all models (GIT non-GTI) just 3dr have the addition of a lever mech for the flipper. The frame for 5 door contains the bracket for the flipper you're just missing the mech. I'm fairly sure (TBC) you can fix 3dr seat frames in place for a 5dr by fitting the correct locking bolts from the 5 door.

LATE the seat bases and seat backs are slightly different between 3 dr and 5 dr and to my knowledge not easily interchangeable.

Misc.

pre 85 the drivers seat was not height adjustable. 86 onwards this was standard on GTI, not sure for base models, may have been an option.

Re: Seats

Reply #2
Great guide!
I don’t suppose you know whether early Gti seats are compatible with mk2 Scirocco bases?
I’ve heard that Scirocco seats can go lower than Golf seats and I’m tempted, thinking maybe swap my foam and seat covers onto a scirocco frame, but suspecting there might be some subtle differences that would throw a spanner in the works.

Reply #3
There are a lot of swap over parts that are compatible between golf and scirocco.

I’m fairly sure (but not 100%) early gti seats are the same as scirocco seats, it’s just the scirocco bases sit a little lower as I believe the legs are a little shorter. The only thing to watch would be the side rails for the bolster. I don’t know if all scirocco seats are sports seats or if some models have poverty spec seats with less bolster, if they do then the bolster rail might not be present. Although if that’s the only thing then you could cut it off the golf seats and weld it on.

I know the whole seats will fit as a direct replacement and I suspect the seat components are interchangeable as so many VAG parts are but I can’t guarantee it.  

Reply #4
Great info again, thank you.
If I buy the scirocco seats, I’ll update this page for posterity.