Skip to main content
Topic: Re-fitting Original Wheels (Read 144 times) previous topic - next topic

Re-fitting Original Wheels

Hey all,

So i'm being a bit of a donut and i need some help. When i bought my GTI the previous owner had put Porsche D90 wheels on. I've got my hands on a set of the original BBS RAs and i'd like to put them back on, obviously. The D90s are 5 bolt but the RAs are 4 bolt. The spacer on the hub is held on with 4 bolts but with 5 holes available for the a 5 bolt conversation.

My first question is, can i keep this spacer in if my bolts are long enough to go through all the threads or do i need another one that's specifically for 4 bolts?

My second question is, what tool do i need to get these hub bolts out? They're sunk in internal hex thread.

TIA, and apologies for being stupid!

Re: Re-fitting Original Wheels

Reply #1
Hi,

Unfortunately, you'll need a 4x100 spacer for your RAs, the Porsche one won't be any good as it's an adaptor specifically for the conversion.
Without seeing your adaptors, I'd say you probably need a large Alan Key or similar.
Depending on the condition of the new wheels, I'd probably just take them to a tyre fitter and ask them to swap the wheels/adaptors over for you. Even if they charge you, it'll be cheaper than buying the tool.

Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #2
Hi,

Unfortunately, you'll need a 4x100 spacer for your RAs, the Porsche one won't be any good as it's an adaptor specifically for the conversion.
Without seeing your adaptors, I'd say you probably need a large Alan Key or similar.
Depending on the condition of the new wheels, I'd probably just take them to a tyre fitter and ask them to swap the wheels/adaptors over for you. Even if they charge you, it'll be cheaper than buying the tool.

Yeah that's what i assumed. Oddly enough, wheels are the things i've messed with the least so i'm still not savvy on what's going on there haha.

I thought the bolts might be big allen key heads but i just thought they were too big to be allen keys. Learning a lot with this car!

Thanks for the info.

Reply #3
No worries.
But you can buy sets like this...
https://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/hand-tools/socket-sets/1-4in-and-3-8in-socket-set-metric-set-of-9/p/BTL5821066X?msclkid=2c9a79cf42f914cd91631c0bb7d36455&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=(GB:Whoop!)%20All%20Products&utm_term=4587780995861681&utm_content=(GB:Whoop!)%20Hand%20Tools

Does that look like what you'll need?
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster