Skip to main content
Topic: Rebuild or exchange gearbox myself - really? (Read 1208 times) previous topic - next topic

Rebuild or exchange gearbox myself - really?

The background:

I think I can take out, rebuild and replace a re-bored etc. 16v engine okay - with reference manual assistance and of course  forums and friends. (I'm half-way through, so I hope I'm right). 

I'm okay with instructions, if a little impatient, and I can use feeler gauges a screw-gauge and a torque wrench and I know what circlips do.
I've not had a go with a dial gauge yet (but I do have my grandfather's dial gauge kit) and Ive not tried welding either (hopfully wont use that in rebuilding a gearbox!

The question:
Should I contemplate having a go at rebuilding the original 020 2Y gearbox (after 125k miles), starting with a bearing and seal kit, and using other parts as needed?  Or is this in a completely different league?

The thinking:

If it's okay for an amateur, then I'll have plenty of darkness time during the winter that I cant easily use on sorting the shell and fittings, and I can make the space to do it in evenings at home and maybe save myself money and boredom! And maybe feel good afterwards too.

I'm also thinking maybe I should know my limits, 

Wise views either way, please?

16V GTI under restoration
Learning a lot  as I go along

Re: Rebuild or exchange gearbox myself - really?

Reply #1
Over the years I’ve built up confidence to the point last year I did a top end rebuild, valve stem seals, reground valves, and did the valve shim tolerances along with head and base gaskets on a 1980s motorbike. Air cooled and only 8v so it was a fairly basic motor. That’s the most advance I’ve got. It was ok and plenty of advice on line with videos and forums. It’s good to do your own stuff and learn along the way. My current bike is a water cooled 16v and I need to do the valve clearances on that... I’m currently putting it off. Lol.

Personally I would say a gearbox is a step too far, but then again it’s just mechanical parts, must and bolts so maybe it’s fear factor. I’d say good on you if you’re will to take it on. Just make sure you have a clear space to work, have the tools you need and make notes and take pictures. Like most things there’s videos available I’m sure.

Oh but when you’re ready to start make sure you have the time to finish ... if you leave it apart and just dip in now and again it will be easier to forget where you got to, what goes where and of course loose the odd screw or whatnot.

I’d love to see a step by step photo Guide if you do take it on, and I’m sure I’m not the only one on here.

Reply #2
I do agree with Tim (eddypeck).

I've buggered about with engines for years now, but with backlash and the delicate nature of the cogs, I always ship out the gearbox work.

On that note, look up Gas n Gears on Facebook.
He's been doing mk2 gearboxes for decades and knows everything there is to know about them.
Always does a top rate job and not too expensive either.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #3
As above, I’m happy to do absolutely anything on almost any car, but gearboxes? No thank you! Backlash, preload etc etc.. I just don’t do it often enough to know what I’m doing.

Martin at Gas N Gears gets my business for anything related to it!

Reply #4
What makes you think the box needs rebuilt? If its not giving you any sign of concern, leave as is!

Syncro crunch in 2nd is the only problem i have ever encountered on a mk2 box

Reply #5
Thanks for the responses. Fair question on why?!

I used to own this car, but not for the last 20+ years, during which it was owned by a lady that drove it as few as 600 miles a year latterly. Its done 125k now. I didnt drive it before I got the car back, as she'd banged it into a metal pillar and it had no coolant, so I couldnt assess it for myself.

Ive stripped the car down to shell and its being re-jigged and painted under bonnet and out. I have had the engine rebored, guides and new pistons/bearings etc. I intend stripping and repainting everything, subframes, suspension,  the lot.

The lady said she had trouble with the gears sometimes, but the linkages were shot and melted (something to do with the aftermarket exhaust that was on it, I daresay)., so that might have been the issue. I doubt whether 5th gear is very worn!

Before I reassemble, with a new engine and respray, I wondered if I should trust the gearbox or should I do the seals and bearings ready for another 125k. 

Reply #6
A fully refurbed linkage, with a mk3 weighted rod and maybe even a short shift fitted will feel like its just left the showroom 😎

But if you are going to town as you say and everything if out anyway, might as well get it refurbed...  decisions decisions 👍

Reply #7
Or whilst it’s at Martin, you can grab a lightened flywheel and one of his gorgeous shifter kits. That’s what I’d do anyways but im a sucker for shiny stuff

Reply #8
Close to £400 labour inc vat, though.  I'm sure its great value, and he knows his gearboxes backwards, but maybe makes the satisfaction worth a go.
Anyone got a spare 020 2Y gearbox? Maybe a spare used Quaife -type diff on a shelf somewhere looking for a deserving home?
I'll buy them and give rebuilding a go if I have a backup to refer to for safety... what say you?!?

Reply #9
I had a mk2 a few years back that I bought to fix up but unfortunately was too far gone so made the tough decision to break it. I was on about 140k miles iirc but had a receipt for a recon gearbox done about 20k miles before the car was taken off the road. I sold the box along with the paperwork as proof for around £100 I think.

I know this doesn't help you, other than to let you know you could get lucky on a 2nd hand hunt.

The other way to look at it, is it's pretty easy to change a gearbox. You could just dress up the outside so it looks nice int he bay once you've done the other work and see how it goes. Worry about it at a later date or pick up a 2nd hand one to play with.

My first mk2 was a GTI Engineering one that had some good power, but I managed to blow the box more than once. With practice I got the gearbox swap down to about 45 mins. What I ended up with was a box from a Scirooco, the ratios were different but really suited the motor. If you are going to have a go yourself on a spare gearbox it might be well worth doing some research and looking at ratios and building up a box to suit your needs; maybe good acceleration or long 5th to lower rev motorway cruising speed. 

Reply #10
I had my 020 done, diff rivets fitted as I was poor at the time, longer 5th for motor way cruising and I got a weekend of riding bike park wales whilst it was being done!

Best thing I ever done for that car.

Reply #11
Alternatively, do any later 5 or 6 speed boxes fit the KR engine in a16v?, Just wondering if that's an alternative to fitting a longer 5th gear during the refurb.