Skip to main content
Topic: Cherished Plates... (Read 832 times) previous topic - next topic

Cherished Plates...

Been sort of half looking for one registration in particular for a while now and what prompted this post it looks like the DVLA have joined the forum to promote one in a forthcoming auction

https://www.vwgolfmk2.co.uk/clubforum/index.php?topic=438.msg2156#new

The plate I was after isn't anything special, probably only means something just to me and no one else.

I'd done the usual Tax and MOT checks which shows it was issued, but both have long since expired and not been renewed (mid 90's).

It wasn't listed on the DVLA site so gave them an email not expecting very much.

Unfortunately the number I want is still considered in use and won't be available through them, I was hoping it would be resinded then re-issued after being dormant for so long, but that's not how it works.

In fairness to the DVLA they found another very similar number that could be issued, all they needed was me to register an interest in it and they'd list it in a forthcoming auction (wouldn't be for immediate sale)

I thought that was decent enough of them plus it's useful to know if you too are after a particular plate and it's not listed they may still be able to help. 

Re: Cherished Plates...

Reply #1
Make sure you get a link to your request, they mess about and it took four auction and three reminders until the one I wanted turned up, the auctions are good in that it doesn’t pay so much to bid last minute, if you do they extend the time.. downside is that the plates are more expensive and the final cost is more than you actually bid. Iirc there is a calculator somewhere on the auction site which gives you a total cost for a bid... you can use this to set your max bid according to your budget ...

Reply #2
That GOL 11F plate is probably going to go for a shocking amount... bet VW UK might be after it, look good on press car photos!

Was going to put a number on the Pug but would be doing it for the wrong reasons.

Unlike the Golf's she's had her glass security marked so would annoy me to see the anomally.

I think they'd let me put her original number on retention in case I changed my mind / sold her on ever, but there's more expense I can't really justify for a whim.

I've a set of 3 plates that I've picked up piecemeal over the years, all for buttons and the 4th would've made a complete set... really begrudge paying real money for a virtual number that you never actually own, just have the use of.

Reply #3
When you remove your personal plate car reverts to original registration.... I have a Pile of original number plates on top of our kitchen wall units , Have a trawl through the dvla website , some bargains @£250 to be had if you look hard enough...

Quick search , to new for most mk2s though
https://dvlaregistrations.dvla.gov.uk/buy.html?plate=L9%20OEA&price=250

Reply #4
Some car tax / registration related matters in Northern Ireland are run differently to the rest of the UK, partially because our plates are considered dateless.

That means a new number can legally be put on an old car, something that's happened to me when retaining a cherished number while selling a vehicle.

There's different variables, so not a blanket thing but potentially you're not guaranteed the original number back.

Didn't matter on that occassion, the car was going to a dealer, but you do see classics over here with the latest numbers on and it looks bizarre.

Reply #5
Found this site... very useful tool to upload an image and superimpose a registration you fancy onto, gives an idea of what it'll look like on your actual car.

https://tidyreg.co.uk/plate-viewer

Reply #6
Found this site... very useful tool to upload an image and superimpose a registration you fancy onto, gives an idea of what it'll look like on your actual car.
I
https://tidyreg.co.uk/plate-viewer

How rude ... I am offended , a bloody Scottish flag

Reply #7
This is mine still currently on the Golf, thought I'd lost it because the DVLA in Swansea are useless feckers and when they took over Coleraine and transferred the records they lost a lot in the process, numerous calls to them that the car had never been out of the UK with proof of SORN and current Logbook made no difference, blanket reply was 'It's not on the system'

Classed as an export as they all were prior to 2014 I think but they weren't actually exported just put on the NI system and should have been put back on Swansea but weren't so show as export, Martin has had to contact customs and re import it, they were fully aware of the problems thankfully and it's back on the DVLA for no cost.

Reply #8
Surprised they issued that, sort of obvious what it'd be made to spell!

Yup... DVLA are definitely unpredictable, specially when interpreting the rules.

My MK1 still has it's old green tax book which you'd think would be all the proof you'd need to show it was UK registered in 1983.

The guy I bought it from in 2008'ish brought her over from England in 1995, done the proper thing and registered it in his name straight away.

When he later got the new style NI tax book it showed first registered in that year not '83, still does despite his efforts then and mine since.

Be interesting to see what happens if I ever get her back on the road and she (should) become tax / MOT exempt.

The Pug got a 6 month TEC in May, looks like it'll get a further 6 months when that's up in November.

Trouble is tax runs out the end of this month which would've been my que to SORN her for the winter and re-tax her just before the MOT was up next year... Can't get a TEC if it's sorned so have to pay 2 x months tax needlessly - works out at £45.00 wasted.

Won't even consider issuing one even though it was their doing by artificially changing the due dates when not giving her 12 months from the get go.

Paying for a full months tax regardless of when taking it out then only refunding full months worth when the boot's on the other foot...

Don't get me started!

Reply #9
Lol, yeah picked that up off a Merc around 2001 for 125 quid and the guy put it on retention and paid the fee lol, so it cost me buttons, no idea what it's worth these days but I find it funny.

I hate the way they do tax now, sucks you can't buy a car and have a few months tax on it, I used to pick up cars with more MOT than tax for a few hundred quid and run them until the tax was out and then sell them on as it was a cheap way to run around, can't do that any more.

I now make sure if I buy a car I do it in the last week of the month so that I am not paying tax for weeks before I owned the car, I wonder how much money they earn from that tax crossover, must be millions!!

You may have a problem with that MK1 not being on the DVLA, I would check it and if not get it sorted before the reg is lost due to DVLA incompetence.

I had a similar thing on the MK2 over here when I moved address, they put me down as a new owner!! tried to get it removed but not a chance so instead of it being a one previous owner car it's now 2, they have no idea how that affects some classics!