Skip to main content
Topic: Restoration Golf Driver (Read 600 times) previous topic - next topic

Restoration Golf Driver

Bought a 1989 Silver Golf Driver, great looking car had it transported to my house but its got rust issues and I have made the decision after looking at it that the work involved is too much for me and my son to do on our drive. Looking to sell the car and pass it on to someone to restore properly. Whats a resto project actually worth, anyone interested. I am near Edinburgh. Thanks Simon

Re: Restoration Golf Driver

Reply #1
Very hard to judge without know more details or seeing pics.

A couple of ways to look at it, the simplest, sell it for what you paid to cover your cost. In which case you know the pice.
You bought it, so someone else will.

Or are you saying you thinking you paid over the odds given the condition and don't want to rip off the next guy?

It depends how bad the rust is, how much of it and in what areas. I had one that looked in good order at first glance, but when you started digging it had lots of rust issues. None of them were particularly bad issues and could be fixed on their own, but accumulative they added up to a lot of work and basically not economical to repair.

If the rest of the car is good and all the part are there, if you're looking for a father/son project how about trying to find a good shell and swap all your parts to it. There are often sorted shells that come up for sell as people abandon projects.

Price wise, even project base spec cars with no MOT or non runner seem to fetch £1500-2000 these days. Long gone are the days of £500 GTIs.

One reason for this, the some of all parts for a breaker is easily £2000. When cars were cheap, people would break them for profit, so it's good in a way that the value of whole cars has gone up as it's stopped the scrapping of decent cars for greed.

That said there are still lots of Mk2s around, and sometimes it just dosen't make sense to restore one when you could get a better one and break one to fix and save many. I hate to say this, would breaking it be an option if you think it's too far gone?

Having tinkered with a few old cars and bikes now, I'm of the opinion that you could easily sink £4000 to £6000 into a restoration to do a good job. Ask yourself what the car would be worth once done. If you paid £2k for it, would it be worth £8k... well looking around maybe it would I'd say that would be the very top end for a Driver in the current market.

If you can pop up some pics and more info on spec.

Re: Restoration Golf Driver

Reply #2
Thanks Eddypeck, great reply very helpful. I would post a couple of pics but I cannot for the life of me see how you do that
Simon

Its now on Ebay. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133757838346