Skip to main content
Topic: Dewie the 1.3 rebuild (Read 853 times) previous topic - next topic

Dewie the 1.3 rebuild

This little 1.3 idiot was my first car back in 2012, I hadn't passed my test so here is my old man looking... ok I don't really know what that expression is... by what he's driving home (shouldn't have taken me to all those VW shows if he didn't want me buying one...)

L plates on, dad taught me to drive it and I learned to change a tyre and repair wiring but not much else? I look back on having that much free time and think why didn't I do so much more?!

We could then go to such classy events as MFN and pretend like we were cool  ::)

Couple years later it and the T25 helped me leave home...

Having left though I was doing stupid miles for work and then had to move further away, my family generously said I could leave it at home if I wanted to keep it, only when I came back it was... under a tree at a farm down the road  :'(  :'(  :'(  should have just sold it then but was too sentimental so here we are in 2020 rebuilding the bloody thing, I decided to go back to school so my excuse is I need something economical to get to campus and placements on farms and places the GTI doesn't fancy trying but really I think I just enjoy messing with it and it doesn't really matter if i screw it up!

Totally learning as I go, progress photos to follow :)

Re: Dewie the 1.3 rebuild

Reply #1
So despite years of neglect once cleaned up, new battery, some new fuel and the distributor cap back on we started up relatively easily??

And then stopped urgently due to the fuel escaping under the carb, the rubber mount was the culprit:

Removed the carb for the first time so learned something there and replaced it, fuel is now better restrained :)

Reply #2
So next obvious thing was the suspension, 2 springs had broken over the abandoned years + towing it home, I thought I'd start at the front ... if you are a beginner like me START WITH THE REAR STRUTS OKAY, THE FRONT IS WAY WORSE.

The bit in the middle spins??? And you have to borrow someone's dad to hold the other bar for you? And one of the top mounts has decided to seize up and has to be cut off??? I think I've lost the photos to block that out and tbh I'm not happy with how one of the top mounts is sitting, so I have to take that off again and put it back after which I think I'll need therapy.

But more recently the back ones seemed to go okay (unless I've done this wrong, here are some boring photos of absolutely standard suspension struts):

Ayyy not too bad up in here either, assuming I put this thing together right

I took approximately 106 photos to remember the order of all the washers and rubber and nuts and random metal on here  :o

Reply #3
So order is mixed up already but we became unwilling to idle and having never really messed with engines beyond changing filters and spark plugs I got scared and called my uncle, who is only really into motorbikes but was my best bet.

He peered at the carb, made horrified noises and told me to clean it up. So with one of the VW heritage kits the carb got some love and attention.

Before:

After - not perfect but hopefully it'll do the trick...

And the important thing...

Reply #5
That wheel arch looks super clean...

I was thinking that too!

Good work with the carb, I'd be terrified to touch one of those!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #6
I have a bunch of updates on this stupid/much-loved little car but forgot to post any / get mardy because i never finish it lol.

Today tho it's had a new accelerator cable as only one was dubious. The carb end of the cable wasn't the right fit (for once I'd bought a part from VW heritage so not sure how come) so required a little dremel work before it all went together. Still have a slight issue that you can "lift" the accelerator pedal too high but one thing at a time.
[
Bit of an update from the last year+, shortly after fitting the carb and the car running it just died and would not start again. I got separated from the car by lockdown then massively struggled to find the problem (had no sparks and turns out I have a passionate hate for anything electrical) but in the end it was the TCI control unit. Around the same time I replaced the distributor, HT leads, plugs etc. The interior is now refitted (except for the drivers seat and a portion of the material from the headlining) with home made foam seals for heating ducts and waterproofed door membranes. Wheels and tyres are waiting to go on. I've still got loads to do on it and  "uncommon" ly actually get any proper time as always lol but at least there's been some progress.