Skip to main content
Topic: mk2 armour door plates (Read 701 times) previous topic - next topic - Topic derived from Re: E10 fuel phase in...

mk2 armour door plates

Does any one know where I can get the gaskets to fit the c & r armour door plates. I got my handles changed and the the gaskets that came with them were fitted instead of the old supplied gaskets, so basically the doors need all my strength to open them. The new gaskets are to thick to be fitted with the armour door plates as the gaskets need to be only 1mm thick. The company that made them are long gone and c and r have none left. If I take the plates off the doors are a different colour from where the plates were so this is not an option. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: mk2 armour door plates

Reply #1
I've a pair some place, but wouldn't know where to begin looking so I'm working from memory - the gaskets are a foam material?

If I do recall correctly it either is or is very similar to neoprene foam.

Check out eBay... you can get it in 1mm thicknesses and make your own, though I'd imagine your biggerst problem'll likely be finding someone selling it in small enough quantities for your needs. Having said that it's very handy stuff, you'll find plenty of uses for any that's left over (eg. good for folding around wiring to stop it rattling behind trim)

Mainly seems to be self adhesive too, but if you can't find non-sticky stuff you could attach it to the plate as opposed to the door, if it was an issue. 

Reply #3
Thanks for that, ordered 30 x 30 sheet. I have an old broken gasket that I should be able to copy. The gasket I am making is the one between the armoured plate and the handle. This will also do for behind the armoured door plate I hope.

Reply #4
I think my memory is letting me down... found a set of 'used' ones, think they're the original design.

See now that the plate to door gasket is a thin line of foam (does look like neoprene after all), my recollection was it completely covered the back but obviously not.

I've a new set from another maker somewhere, maybe they have the full gasket and that's were I'm going wrong, only guessing.

Didn't realise there was another gasket for the type pictured, for between the outer face and handle itself. Just assumed the soft plastic grommet affair on the handle did that - might be buying some of that ebay stuff myself now!

Reply #5
The one between the plate face and the handle is the one I will be making as you can’t use the gasket supplied with the handles as they are too thick, the gasket can be no more than 1mm thick. I only found this out as I still have the fitting instructions supplied by c and r when I bought the plates years ago. It states the supplied gasket MUST be fitted. Cheers and thanks for the help.

Reply #6
I have a feeling when you fit the backing plate you do away with the plastic base on the handle surround. I can't really tell you as although I have the backing plates I have mk3 style handles fitted. Were there when I got the car but I really like them to be honest and I'm not too precious about OEM. I rather like the firmer feel of opening a door.

Putting a thicker gasket on the back of the plate would compensate for the lack of plastic gasket on the base of the handle,  and make it look neater IMO.

Reply #7
I have these but I've removed them because I prefer it to look standard.
You are correct about the 1mm gasket between the armour door plate and the door handle - dispensing with the original seal. Unfortunately the seals break easily with age. Not sure I still have any of the gaskets!
It might be an idea to use sticky 1mm replacement on the plate and carefully cut round the door handle since I can see cutting replacements won't be easy.
You may find putting a very thin bead of black automotive silicone will do, when dry you can trim it back with a sharp knife.
Good luck.
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #8
Thanks for the reply’s, i’ll Let you all know how I get on over the weekend.