Skip to main content
Topic: Golf mk2 1991 1.6 Carb engine not running. (Read 892 times) previous topic - next topic

Golf mk2 1991 1.6 Carb engine not running.

Hi Guys!

Just Brought a Golf Mk2 1991 Driver 1.6 Carb. It hasn't been on the road for 5 years, and I cannot get it started!

The Engine splutters for a few seconds but I can't ever get it to idle. I thought the Carb wasn't getting any fuel so I checked the lines but Fuel is entering the carb from the pump.

Here is a video of us turning it over https://youtu.be/Day5Rdp3pak

If anyone has any suggestions as to what it could be that would be helpful!

Re: Golf mk2 1991 1.6 Carb engine not running.

Reply #1
Do you know why it's been in the garage for so long. Was it a case of just parked up or had something gone wrong. Have you literally just tried to fire it straight away or have you done the basics for spark and fuel. What state are/were the spark plugs in as that may give a clue to how it was working prior to resting. I would for  a start change the inline fuel filter to a clear barbed one which will make it easier to see fuel going through. Is that an immobiliser/alarm fitted and connected on the os turret? No secret kill switch. If its running a Pierburg I would check the vac pipes as well and if in need of replacement use silicon tubing.  Has the carb float filled up with enough fuel and whilst your cranking make sure there is no fuel leaking around the base of the carb.
Mk2 Golf Riviera
Other toys

Reply #2
..and you may need fresh fuel too.
Not sure of the reason but old petrol can cause issues too.
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #3
Whip off a fuel line to check fuel is getting to the engine - you can use relay 100 in relay 67's place to make the pump run on ignition (or just bridge 67s slot). Make sure the fuel is not stinky and horrible at the same time - could just be old fuel.

Next check for spark.

I've no idea how carbs work but if you've got the above then maybe the carb needs tuning.

Reply #4
Possibly worth changing the fuel filter.
Some carbs have a clear inline filter (engine bay) as well so would be able to see fuel delivery is working.

Check all vacuum lines and the carb base, they deteriorate and lets air in which will ruin the air/fuel mixture.

Reply #5
Okay guys I know that the engine is getting a decent flow of clean fuel as I've checked the fuel line going into the carb with a water bottle.

Ive put 10L of fresh fuel into the car.

Im unsure about the vacuum lines all the lines I have checked seem to be in good nick!

After leaving the car for about 2 days I then attempted to start it again as can be seen here. 

https://youtu.be/B0dYq-ioEA0

From what I've reshearched this is an uncommon issue. And Im unsure of what is causing it.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know! :)