Skip to main content
Topic: gear linkage kit (Read 710 times) previous topic - next topic
Redirected from MOVED: gear linkage kit

gear linkage kit

Reading a post about replacing the gear linkage. I wonder what sort of job it is.? mine is not too bad but would probably benefit being replaced. many thanks scs

Re: gear linkage kit

Reply #1
I did all the linkages under the bonnet, I didn’t get under the car to do the bottom of the gear lever.
Made a big difference and not hard, took me a couple of afternoons - you’ll probably be faster than that! Recommend it

Reply #2
Thanks for that i'll give it a go

Reply #3
Hi
doing any of the linkages will give an improvement but it's not too hard to do them all including the bush in the front of the gear lever bottom box which guaranteed will be like a gaping hole. The shaft that goes forward is held by this bush so it affects all movement and selection. You have to drop the front section pf the exhaust and remove the heatshield to get to it, we did it in a day, every bush, new pins, ball etc and the gearchange is effectively brand new. Make sure you clean up and properly mark the horizontal shaft where you take it out of the clamp at the back bottom of the engine bay with paint or something indelible (or scratch it), we marked it and then rubbed it off whilst cleaning and it can be a faff getting it back in the right place, took a couple of go's to get everything selecting smooth.
Makes a huge difference to driving; I'd never driven a new(ish) one so was surprised how positive and clunky it is (but really nice clunky).
Even if you just do the pin, the ball and the bushes in the bay it will be better but I'd completely recommend doing the lot for a days work. The front box bush generally isn't in the kits I don't think but it's readily available.
Chris.

Reply #4
Thanks I have bought the kit just got to fit it now.
scs