Skip to main content
Topic: Sunroof Not Used for 15 Years! (Read 815 times) previous topic - next topic

Sunroof Not Used for 15 Years!

I'm not absolutely sure if this is the right section to post this - please move if necessary.

I acquired this 1990 Mk2 Driver (1.6) from its first owner in 2008.  They had removed but retained the winding handle and stated that the sunroof leaked, so they had stopped using it.

Since then, I have had no trouble with the sunroof, despite its perished rubber seal, and have left it alone.

However, having a little time and a bit more money to use for this beloved motor, I'm wondering about bringing the sunroof back to life.  Naturally, I'm worried about 'waking a sleeping dog' in this regard.  I have made some enquiries about sunroof repairers, and discover that they are a dying breed.  I was told modern sunroofs are all managed by dealers rather than independent companies now.  Nevertheless, I found one not too far away in Surrey, and spoken to the proprietor.  He seems very busy and couldn't give me a date at the moment, but remains a distinct possibility.

Naturally, I'm also wondering if this is a viable DIY job for someone like me with no skills.  Has anyone worked on such a sunroof (don't know model, but assume it's standard for the model and date of car)?  I am also needing to get the headlining renewed, and it seems clear that the sunroof needs sorting first, and really needs to be functional for the headlining job to be completed.

I also have to take into account the fact that I don't have a garage, so would be a bit stuck if it all went wrong!

Any advice gratefully received.

Re: Sunroof Not Used for 15 Years!

Reply #1
If it is a factory fit sunroof they are very simple to maintain I removed mine to replace the outer seal. I think I searched utube for a guide. Strange that just using it would make it leak. The seal is very easy to replace.

Reply #3
Thanks all.  That's a very thorough manual.  I presume I would follow 'Jetta' as Golf not specifically mentioned.

Reply #4
should be the same

Reply #5
Wow!  What a difference in price - Classic VW £65 inc.VAT, Heritage £129.95 inc.VAT!

Reply #6
Yes. There is a vast difference in price depending upon where you buy the sunroof seals from.
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #8
Wow!  Got it to open, and discover that:

2 screws on one front fixing plate will not budge (not rusty, though) - what's that tool for shifting stubborn screws/nuts?  It's a pozidrive screw head but it will not budge.  Penetrating oil?  Drill it out?
wind deflector pretty rusty on the corners - have ordered a replacement
deflector side arms detached and fixings worn away where they attach to deflector - have ordered replacements - but do they attach to the deflector with rivets or screws?

Reply #10
Well, surprised myself by managing to get all the screws undone (3 needed drilling and the use of an EasyOut with a carpenter's brace!).  Damaged screws replaced with new stainless steel.  Extracted the sunroof panel and replaced the seal, though one corner appears not to be seated properly, so I'll have to redo that when the weather's dry again (no garage!).  Replaced the deflector side arms with very nice but expensive stainless steel ones.  Now just waiting for the replacement deflector to arrive.