Skip to main content
Topic: New (22 year old) MINI (Read 508 times) previous topic - next topic

New (22 year old) MINI

What do we think about the BMW owned 'new' mini?

Bear in mind the 'new' Mini launched in 2001 and the first models are now 22 years old, so are they a classic in their own right?

The latest models are huge, and have lost some of the classic styling of the first re-incarnation - they've gone a bit jelly mould.

But in terms of a modern car with all the characteristics of what we now love about our Mk2s; compact, fun, great handling etc. is a Mini the closest thing right now?

The new Mini was the response to the retro revival started in 1997 with the arrival of the 'new' beetle launched by VW.
And the trend continued by Fiat with their reinvention of the 500.

Re: New (22 year old) MINI

Reply #1
Personally I quite like the first-gen clubman from 2007 to 2014.

Looking on eBay for an example there's currently a petrol 2007 MINI CLUBMAN 1.6 COOPER S (the one to have as far as I'm aware) with 92k miles on the clock. Boasting 72 BHP with a 6 speed manual in metallic British racing green with full leather interior and all the mod-cons for £4,500.

Which I'd say would compare with the current value of my Mk2 GTI.

Reply #2
Hi Tim. It has  bit more Vroom than that..
120bhp for the 1.6

Parkers

I'm not convinced the barn doors are practical. Nor the LHD rear door. I agree they are nice. However I'm not sure they are as reliable as a MK2 😀
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #3
Sorry I chopped off the 1, it's 172bhp for the Cooper S, that's the Turboed 1.6  :))

And I think you're right, like every modern vehicle, over engineered with parts intentionally built to be short term.
New cars only need to last the initial warranty period, so to keep costs down manufactures make parts with a limited lifespan.
Engineering and technology are advanced enough now to make lifetime vehicles, but they're not cost effective and the manufactures would miss out on aftersales and service income so why would they build to last.

I think I prefer the shape more than the normal mini, there's a little more backend so the visually look more balanced, plus I gather there's a bit more rear leg room. As a second car and not a main family car that's less of a problem, but if I'm going to have a vehicle it still needs to be practical to a point - to be able to take people out, put dogs in back, pick up some shopping.

I suppose my thinking was if I didn't have a mk2 what more modern car might still be fun. I guess a Polo GTI might be a safer bet, although it's not till the 2010 model they started to look nice. And prices on those are still higher.

No plans to sell the mk2 yet, so not something I need to worry about just now. Just thinking out loud as I do. 

Reply #4
I've always quite liked the gen 1 'new' mini.
A friend has one of the old supercharged ones and it's a right little pocket rocket.
I can only imagine the turbo is better and more reliable.
Also, if it doesn't float your boat, a cheeky remap will see 214bhp...yes I looked it up!!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #5
Weights and measurements vary across model specs and configurations, for all cars, but roughly speaking compared to a Mk2 Golf, it's near enough about the same length but fractionally wider and weighs roughly the same to make a it a good comparison.

The wheelbase is a little longer, which makes sense as the wheels are right at the corners with little overhang front or rear.

Reply #6
with a black mini, having those iconic union jack taillights,
isn't it pure modern britishness coming down the road ?

until now i wasn't aware about the bmw overtake but anyway,
to me, the hatch back mini has enough features
to be a classic car of its own.

i would not say that about the new beetle, i guess :-)

edit:

the barndoor version looks nice, and it sure might be functional
but i just don't know it is such a classic as the classic version.

time could change that, of course. have you had a test-drive ?