! Message from: vw-widow
Due to technically issues with this forum, we have created a new fresher looking forum - we are asking all members to register on https://www.vwgolfmk2.co.uk/clubforum sorry for any inconvenience.

If your a paid member, once you have registered, pm vw-widow with your details, and you will be re-instated.

Build threads etc can be copied and pasted to the new site, sadly we couldn't merge the database.

This site will close on the 1st June 2020. All data will be deleted.
Thanks Admin

Sagging headlining ... A fix it guide.

Your source for all guides, instructions and useful info from the old site - please do not post in this section for help
eddypeck
Supercharged
Drives: 1991 MK2 Golf GTI 8v

Re: Sagging headlining ... A fix it guide.

Postby eddypeck » Wed May 07, 2014 11:32 am

Where are you mate, I'd be happy to give it a go.... can't be that hard ;-)
0 x

UKPR0
OEM
Drives: 1990 8v GTI

Postby UKPR0 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:13 pm

DON'T use trimfix, it's absolute crap. No heat resistance at all, I had my headlining sagging after a few weeks. Any spray-on stuff is rubbish from what I've found.

I recommend using brush on high temp contact adhesive - there's a guy on eBay calling himself 'Martrim', he sells pots of the stuff and it's fantastic.

I know from experience as I've done around 3 of them. I'd be happy to reupholster peoples headlining's if the price was right, will post up some pics of my latest job when I'm home.
0 x

TeeTee
Dub Ninja
Drives: 1987 Golf GTI 8v

Postby TeeTee » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:35 am

A guide from Practical Classics, done here on a Maestro so there are some differences with a mk2, the main one being that the 'board' in a mk2 is very fragile polystyrene.

0 x

jshep73
OEM
Drives: 1990 16v twin Weber 45's

Postby jshep73 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:24 pm

I have just finished covering and re-fitting my headlining.

First thing I would say is that it is not a 3 hour job!!! It took me at least 5. But I wasn't rushing and it was my first time.

One can of trimfix is plenty! Especially for a sunroof model. I did the headlining and parcel shelf and have some left. And I sprayed plenty! I really don't know how you could use 3 cans for this job.

One thing that wasn't mentioned in the guide was that after you have applied the new material you need to cut all the holes for screws. It makes things easier.

Slipping the headlining back into position is easy. But locating all the screw holes for all the fixings is a right pain. Especially as you are working above your head so your arms ache! Also the sunroof seal is a pain as the 2 front corners do not fit under a corner piece of metal. This needs to be unscrewed from above. Then you can get the seal in and screw the metal down. I only mention this as I did not need to move the metal to get the seal out.

The finished job looks completely standard and I am very happy with it.
1 x
"Why is the bonnet open again? You said the car was finished."

big F
Dub Ninja
Drives: 20V & 91 Driver

Postby big F » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:09 pm

Saw this guide a while ago. Over the years I've done a few Golf headlining, it certainly helps having two pair of hands to put it back in. It does get easier the more you do.
1 x
Thanks

Big F

tabbie
VAG Rat
Drives: Early k-jet Gti

Postby tabbie » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:03 am

I've always been surprised and proud of my non-sagging headlining until today....my mk2 keeps kicking me in my tender bits lately. I only use the darn thing for 6 short months a year.
Am starting to get annoyed now with the endless jobs.
0 x

Return to “Useful Guides, Hints and Tips”