Touchup paint and slight rust

Restoring your MK2 back to factory standard, or need advice on getting rid of that spot of rust?
A.J
L-Driver
Drives: mk2 Golf GTI 8v 1990

Touchup paint and slight rust

Postby A.J » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:38 pm

While the paintwork on my mk2 is generally good there are still a few stone chips and a small section of rust. I'd like to get these sorted out but I have some concerns.

First off, will it devalue the car in any way? I definitely don't want a full repaint, just to touch up some of the damage. Get it looking like new again!

Second concern is colour matching, whether I decide to try and do it myself or take it somewhere, I'm scared that the colour might be difficult to match and the touched up areas will look "off". It's a 30 year old car, so I'm sure there will be a slight fade in colour over time and it wont necessarily match an out of the tin paint.

Does any one else have any experience repairing minor paintwork damage? How did it go? Is it noticeable? And finally, did you try it yourself or take it to a professional?
0 x
Golf Mk2 GTI 8v
Image By BTF

eddypeck
Supercharged
Drives: 1986 MK2 Golf GTI 8v

Re: Touchup paint and slight rust

Postby eddypeck » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:10 am

First question what colour is the car, some colours match better than others. If it's silver or red I'd say you have next to no chance matching it from a can, mine was Alpine white, white is probably the easiest and although looked OK a first glance, catch it in the right light and it was 16 shades of light magnolia as different areas had been addressed at different times.

It also depends on where the areas are and if doing a whole panel or blending in, or if you can use a swage line, door shut, rub strip etc as a natural divide.

A professional bodyshop should be able to scan the paint that's on there and mix a colour to match regardless of the paint code. I had to have the roof done on my Beetle after a fire, it was Marathon Blue metallic and the colour match was perfect - the quality of the job was another matter, but that's a whole other saga.

As for devaluing it, tricky. Originality is important to some people, when I first got my rust bucket it was a shocking state, but all original and untouched. I do have to admit that by the time I'd finished all the work whilst the car was in a lovely condition it had lost a little of the character - but I sold it for six times what I paid for it (but half what I'd spent on it if you get the idea). Unless it's mint original I think I'd rather see restored and mint than original and but tatty.

Post up some pics, let's see what you're dealing with.
0 x

A.J
L-Driver

Postby A.J » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:39 pm

Thanks for the detailed reply, it helps a lot!

Here's some pics, sorry they aren't particularly clear, it's not been very light recently.

The chips are just a couple of examples, there's a few dotted around here and there. It looks like one of the previous owners covered up a few of the really bad ones. At a distance it hides them but you can still see them when close.

There's a relatively small pocket of rust in the corner of the windscreen that I'd like to get fixed too. It's not awful at the moment but I'm scared it could spread.

It's a bit annoying but all the damage is relatively small, just spread in quite a few areas. It might be more annoying than difficult to sort out. I'm totally fine with taking it to a professional if it's going to look good when it's done. I just worry it won't match, even if a pro does it. The colour is Royal Blue, which I imagine would be a more difficult colour to match.
0 x
Golf Mk2 GTI 8v
Image By BTF

philkimber
OEM+
Drives: 1992 MK2 16v

Postby philkimber » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:56 pm

Windscreen would have to come out for that so wouldn't be a cheap job - problem being could be opening a can of worms, as trim comes off to paint they could find other areas that need attention. Take it to a few respected bodyshops in your area, chat to them about what you want to do within a budget. Remember cheap paint jobs aint good and good paint jobs aint cheap!
0 x
K plate Mk2 3 door 16v Tornado Red
2007 T5 (.1) LWB Pure Grey

A.J
L-Driver

Postby A.J » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:12 am

philkimber wrote:Windscreen would have to come out for that so wouldn't be a cheap job - problem being could be opening a can of worms, as trim comes off to paint they could find other areas that need attention. Take it to a few respected bodyshops in your area, chat to them about what you want to do within a budget. Remember cheap paint jobs aint good and good paint jobs aint cheap!

Thanks

Yeh I agree. I'm gona take my time with it, I'm not rushing. I'll see what options are available, I'd rather get it done right than done cheap.
0 x
Golf Mk2 GTI 8v
Image By BTF

Peter p
L-Driver
Drives: 1990 mk2 Golf driver

Postby Peter p » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:51 pm

I have just done some rust around a window on my romahome. Same type of window figment. Rubbers are easy enough to find but you risk crack the glass if its old. I was changing the window so new glass. But it still takes two to get it in and a rubber mallet. An option would be to see if a local glass fitter might your glass replace at cost if you supply the new rubber. The all you do is cut the rubber remove the glass. Treat the rust and he does the rest. New rubber £20 new window £60 if you break it and fitting circa £70.
0 x

Rich
Dub Ninja
Drives: moped.

Postby Rich » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:45 am

Easy to get the glass and seal out intact.

I would open that can of worms as soon as you possibly can.

Surface shows so little of what is actually going on.
0 x
Poverty spec member.

Avid follower of EddiePeck's lunchtime project.

Return to “Bodywork & Paintwork”