Tow bar.....wrong?

If your question doesn't fit in above, come on in!
Kenneth cartwright
OEM
Drives: 1989 gti valver

Tow bar.....wrong?

Postby Kenneth cartwright » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:33 am

:argue:

Now I'm not sure but this was advertised as mk2 tow bar.. it fits the arms line up and bolt holes match but theres nothing to secure the bumper to.. other than tie wrap/cables from bumper iron to the tube i would expect it would bounce free of the side mounts/holder things.. The 2 brackets on tow bar 1 either side dont come. Close to anything either. So would have to make a pair of brackets I guess.
https://i.imgur.com/HuACqGT.jpg Image
https://i.imgur.com/jqgoNSi.jpg Image

Was cheap so picked it up... I could just get a second hand bumper and weld it up. But that's more drastic. As its only for transporting road bikes when travelling, have the rack that fits the ball, and not one that pulls the spoilers off.. lol was great on the back of my 330d, but sold that
0 x
:jackson:
On the drive mk1 cabbies and mk2 gti valver.

Pootz
VW Bug
Drives: A 5 door Shed

Re: Tow bar.....wrong?

Postby Pootz » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:55 pm

Usually theres bolt holes that hold the bumper on . It uses the existing mounts that hold the original bumper iron on...does that make sense?... probably not knowing me haha
1 x

sly_gti
VW Bug
Drives: Mk2 2.0 8v

Postby sly_gti » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:55 pm

It could be small / big bumper specific
0 x

Kenneth cartwright
OEM

Postby Kenneth cartwright » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:16 pm

Yes that's what I expected but the holes shown dont line up on anything on bumper itself. Would say at least 40mm away from bumper iron also. Will try fab a bracket or tie wrap in short term if I dont get another bumper . Lol
0 x

sly_gti
VW Bug
Drives: Mk2 2.0 8v

Postby sly_gti » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:17 pm

With the one I have you don't use the bumper iron. That gets removed as well
1 x

Kenneth cartwright
OEM

Postby Kenneth cartwright » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:24 am

sly_gti wrote:With the one I have you don't use the bumper iron. That gets removed as well

Ok I can see that as it would make the tie wrapping work as less weight. But looking at the iron I imagine removing it is a nightmare. Think I'll scratch my head and see if another comes up locally and then see
0 x

eddypeck
Supercharged
Drives: 1986 MK2 Golf GTI 8v

Postby eddypeck » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:16 pm

Kenneth cartwright wrote:
sly_gti wrote:With the one I have you don't use the bumper iron. That gets removed as well

Ok I can see that as it would make the tie wrapping work as less weight. But looking at the iron I imagine removing it is a nightmare. Think I'll scratch my head and see if another comes up locally and then see

Or look out for a 2nd bumper - even aftermarket. Keep your original in one peice so it's an easy swap back at a later date.
0 x

bacardincoke
VAG Rat
Drives: 1992 MK2 8v

Postby bacardincoke » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:12 pm

Found this on eBay.de... possible your PEKA brand of towbar, but if not it's very similar and the principle could be the same.

The hole as shown in your first image seems to allow a bolt to the horizontal inner metal bumper bar, the 2 x legs into the bodywork not being needed.

May even use one the holes / bolts the legs are attached to the horizontal piece with... At worst an additional hole and / or longer bolt?

https://www.ebay.de/itm/322314758037

1 x

Kenneth cartwright
OEM

Postby Kenneth cartwright » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:15 pm

Hi yes that's very much like the fitting I have. But I dont seem to have that position available. Will have to take off car again, that looks a painted bumper wonder if done by owner or as stock. Mines boring matt plastic.may it is for my small bumper but not quite easy job unless can get bolt behind iron..dooh
0 x

Return to “Other Technical Problems”