Help needed with Rear Coilovers!

Tyres, Camber, Caster and Toe, Wheel Offsets, Power Assisted Steering questions all in here please
Balraj
OEM
Drives: MK2 GTI 16V

Help needed with Rear Coilovers!

Postby Balraj » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:10 pm

Sooo, this is annoying as hell.
Fitted a set of coilovers and seen that passenger side of the rear coilover doesn't have as much thread under the top nut as the driver side Checked the passenger side side top nut and it was loose, only to find that the top nut has threaded. So my questions are:

Is it possible to drive without the washer/metal disc under the top nut for a few miles until I get to the garage and get a new top nut?

The bottom nut on the passenger side doesn't seem like it's been wound down as much as the driver side hence the thread size difference, so how is it possible to even them out, as the car looks like it's sitting slightly lower on the drivers side??
I've already tried tightening up the bottom nuts with the axle jacked up but they are pretty tight with no more movement.
0 x

Balraj
OEM

Re: Help needed with Rear Coilovers!

Postby Balraj » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:27 pm

Balraj wrote:Sooo, this is annoying as hell.
Fitted a set of coilovers and seen that passenger side of the rear coilover doesn't have as much thread under the top nut as the driver side Checked the passenger side side top nut and it was loose, only to find that the top nut has threaded. So my questions are:

Is it possible to drive without the washer/metal disc under the top nut for a few miles until I get to the garage and get a new top nut?

The bottom nut on the passenger side doesn't seem like it's been wound down as much as the driver side hence the thread size difference, so how is it possible to even them out, as the car looks like it's sitting slightly lower on the drivers side??
I've already tried tightening up the bottom nuts with the axle jacked up but they are pretty tight with no more movement.
Attached are the photos ImageImage

Sent from my JKM-LX1 using Tapatalk
0 x

eddypeck
Supercharged
Drives: 1991 MK2 Golf GTI 8v

Postby eddypeck » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:50 am

Is there anything in the arch that's preventing the rubber from fitting correctly?

I guess if you're not travelling that far, you take it easy and don't go over any massive bumps you should be OK to drive like this. The weight of the car sitting on the struct should keep it in place.
0 x

Balraj
OEM

Postby Balraj » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:43 am

eddypeck wrote:Is there anything in the arch that's preventing the rubber from fitting correctly?

I guess if you're not travelling that far, you take it easy and don't go over any massive bumps you should be OK to drive like this. The weight of the car sitting on the struct should keep it in place.
Thanks. I'll try and get the shock out over the weekend and see if all the things were fitted correctly and the right way round. Haven't driven it anywhere to be safe

Sent from my JKM-LX1 using Tapatalk
1 x

Return to “Wheels, Suspension, Steering”