Further Central Locking Confusion

in car entertainment, get the best out of your ICE system also wiring problems, lighting, switches - anything that's not ignition system or ECU related
Pootz
VW Bug
Drives: A 5 door Shed

Further Central Locking Confusion

Postby Pootz » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:33 pm

Further to my other post which, for some reason I can't edit...
My central locking is suddenly working again, sort of.
It will UNLOCK the doors but won't lock them, I have to do that manually

Any ideas please?
0 x

eddypeck
Supercharged
Drives: 1986 MK2 Golf GTI 8v

Re: Further Central Locking Confusion

Postby eddypeck » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:46 pm

To unlock the pump pushes air, to lock it has to suck and is working against the mechanism so takes more effort. Don't know the solution, but from an engineering point of view working one way and not the other seems logical if it's not operating at 100%.

I wonder if lubing all the door and lock mechs might help, it wouldn't have to work so hard. Test the volts at the pump, make sure it's getting the full power needed. I don't know if it's possible to service the pump, replace seals etc. But from memory I think it looks like a sealed unit, but then I never took that much notice.
0 x

Pootz
VW Bug

Postby Pootz » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:03 am

eddypeck wrote:To unlock the pump pushes air, to lock it has to suck and is working against the mechanism so takes more effort. Don't know the solution, but from an engineering point of view working one way and not the other seems logical if it's not operating at 100%.

I wonder if lubing all the door and lock mechs might help, it wouldn't have to work so hard. Test the volts at the pump, make sure it's getting the full power needed. I don't know if it's possible to service the pump, replace seals etc. But from memory I think it looks like a sealed unit, but then I never took that much notice.

Latest update....it seems to have fixed itself. No idea why or how after 2 weeks of being an ass it suddenly works again, although I'm not sure how long it'll be working for, could be it breaks again later today or maybe last month's but I've decided to leave it alone while it's doing it's job.
0 x

eddypeck
Supercharged
Drives: 1986 MK2 Golf GTI 8v

Postby eddypeck » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:13 am

Temperature and humidity would have an effect on air pressure, maybe the temp has come up just enough to help it out. Also, if it's not been used for ages but now you're using it it will have helped to loosen everything up. These cars do like to be used, and protest when they're laid up.
0 x

Pootz
VW Bug

Postby Pootz » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:39 am

eddypeck wrote:Temperature and humidity would have an effect on air pressure, maybe the temp has come up just enough to help it out. Also, if it's not been used for ages but now you're using it it will have helped to loosen everything up. These cars do like to be used, and protest when they're laid up.

Probably temp related. Its used daily since September so its not that unless I've worn it out.
0 x

Return to “I.C.E and Electrical”