How To Refurb Wheels DIY

Does what it says on the tin!
Frijjj
VAG Monkey
Drives: Not a Mk2 any more :(

How To Refurb Wheels DIY

Postby Frijjj » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:07 pm

Cope's How To Refurb Wheels DIY
Cope wrote:Hello, there are many ways you can refurb your wheels yourself, some take a couple of days some take longer due to the wheel or finish.

This is how I did mine..

Firstly you will need somewhere to spray prefrably dust free... but this is hard! I made a little spray booth in my garage (not great when your mums walking past with washing every 2 mins! :lol: )

The old wheel

Bad pic of kerbing

Firstly i attacked the wheels with an orbital sander fairly course pads to get the majority off.

Then i used wet and dry in this order on every wheel
(100, 250, 400, 800)
Some people like to got to 1000 to get a really smooth finish but as long as the wheel is keyed properly the paint will stick.
I then went over the wheels with some kind of prepaint wipes, these get rid of dust and left over krud.

So that got me to this..

Now its time for primer or filler primer if you wish. *always use a mask when spraying i was badly ill for a week because i just used a dust mask instead of a respirator*

Spray on 3 light coats of primer, when that dry just flat the wheels back with 1500 grit wet and dry to get rid of any lump and bumps.

Give it one more coats of primer, leave the primer to almost dry then spray on your colour coat, i did this while the primer was still tacky so the paint will bond better.

Carry on building up the coats until you have a nice even coverage. you may feels that all you need, but i wanted mine shiny shiny so i went ahead with 3 coats of clear lacquer.

Now let the paint harder for at least 24 hours and then apply a decent wax to protect it.

This is how mine came out..

It really is quite easy and relaxing to get away and rub your fingers to the bone :roll::lol:

just remember light coats and good prep and you wont go wrong. i did mine over 2 years ago and they still look good after a polish!

*you attempt this at your own risk and I take no responsibility for anyone attempting this*
0 x

Return to “FAQ on Bodywork & Paintwork”