Problem with windows rattling

If your question doesn't fit in above, come on in!
Jez
OEM
Drives: 1990 Golf GTI G60

Problem with windows rattling

Postby Jez » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:33 am

Hi, can anyone help please? My windows are driving me mad!

Car is a 1990 2 door with manual big windows. If I have the window even the slightest bit open, it rattles. It's a kind of metallic rattle, and it happens with the window in any position except fully closed. I can see that the scraper seals are pretty loose, meaning I can move the glass in or out a few mm with my hand, but it doesn't seem like that's the problem, with the rattle being so metallic.

Maybe the glass is loose where it's held by the lifter? Just looking for a few pointers before I strip the door down so I can be ready with spare parts if needed!
0 x

eddypeck
Supercharged
Drives: 1986 MK2 Golf GTI 8v

Re: Problem with windows rattling

Postby eddypeck » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:31 pm

There's a clamp type thing which I think it cloth/velvet lined on the bottom of the window. These are usually pretty tight but can come lose. I think this is the bit you are thinking of also. when you say 'held by the lifter'.

Could also be bolts in the frame come lose. Unusual from factory but if it's been apart for resto or work it could have come lose since.

Only way really is whip off the door card and take a look.
0 x

Jez
OEM

Postby Jez » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:59 am

Thanks dude. Yes I think I'll just have to get in there for a look. It has been apart for a resto so I guess it could have come loose.
0 x

Jez
OEM

Postby Jez » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:58 am

Turns out the vertical channel in the front end of the door was missing it's rubber lining. So as the window was lowered into the channel, it was loose and rattling around. The missing piece is essentially just a length of the seal that runs all the way around the top of the door frame, rubber with a kind of fuzzy lining so the glass slides. Nice easy fix!
1 x

Return to “Other Technical Problems”