Genuine 1.6 Thermostat

Chat about all things Mk2 but not technical questions please
sie1970
OEM
Drives: 1990 1600 Golf Driver

Genuine 1.6 Thermostat

Postby sie1970 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:32 pm

Good afternoon,

Anyone know where I can get a genuine thermostat for my 1990 1.6 Golf Driver.

Have fitted several Mayel ones and they don't seem to last very long.

Now looking for a permenant fix as I do like my car to get toastie warm!

Many thanks.
0 x

eddypeck
Supercharged
Drives: 1986 MK2 Golf GTI 8v

Re: Genuine 1.6 Thermostat

Postby eddypeck » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:51 pm

The obvious answer is try VW or TPS.

But Meyle should be good enough, remember VW don't manufacture parts themselves so Meyle , Febi etc would be the ones supplying VW in the first place anyway.

If they're not lasting I would have to assume you have some other issue which needs resolving first.

Did you test the stat before fitting?

Have you flushed the coolant system, are you using the correct coolant, have you got the air blocks out, do you still have the matrix bypass fitted, how new is your matrix? ???

I'd expect a Meyle stat to be fit and forget for at least the next 10 years.
0 x

sie1970
OEM

Postby sie1970 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:54 pm

Everything is new, but from time to time my gauge is really slow to read, after a long run it will only read 1/4 temp.
0 x

eddypeck
Supercharged

Postby eddypeck » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:18 pm

Start engine from cold. Hold bottom rad hose, should stay cold and you should be able to hold the pipe for a fair while, at some point the stat will open and the bottom hose will get too hot to hold.

If that happens then the stat is working as expected. If the bottom hose starts to warm up straight away then the stat is stuck open.

As you say everything is new then I would expect the top scenario in which case it could be a case of everything is working correctly it's just the gauge giving you duff information, in which case a new temp sender might be something to look at, or to test maybe fit an external water temp gauge, even as a temporary measure.
0 x

sie1970
OEM

Postby sie1970 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:15 am

Thats why I was asking about a genuine thermostat. I keep fitting new Mayle ones and they don't last very long, My car now only gets up to temperature now the weather has warmed up. When it was a little cooler, after my 10 mile commute the car would only be reading 1/4 on the temp. gauge. Everything is new on the car. Fed up with these poor quality thermostats jamming open.
0 x

eddypeck
Supercharged

Postby eddypeck » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:52 am

When you remove the old Meyle one do you test it or just throw it away and fit a new one?

It would interesting to confirm that what you consider a "poor quality thermostats jammed open" is actually the case. Unless there was a bad batch I'd have no issue fitting Meyle usually, and as mentioned above they're considered OE Quality.

To be sure go to VW or TPS - although depending on the how helpful they are some TPS don't sell to the public and get one from them.

Is your water pump new too?

10 miles is a little longer than I'd expect for it to warm up. I fear the issue is not the thermostat but some other issue, which in tern is causing the thermostat to fail.

I'd be looking at a full coolant system flush and further investigation. I suspect a blockage of some kind restricting water flow around the system, most likely at the heater matrix by pass.
0 x

eagle
OEM
Drives: Mk2 1.6 Auto

Postby eagle » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:45 pm

I'm just in the process of changing the heater matrix along with the head gasket/water pump/thermostat. I've got the old and new ones together but will also measure some water into each and see what the difference is. The old one looks to be the original judging by the date on it.
0 x

Return to “Mk2 Golf Chat”