8V Gti No oil pressure !! HELP!

Have a problem or need some pointers? This is the place for you.
Marc2018
L-Driver
Drives: Gtd.+ 16v+ 8v x2 Gti's.

8V Gti No oil pressure !! HELP!

Postby Marc2018 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:19 am

Hi,
My -1000 mile since rebuild- by respected engine builders..
having noticed a small amount of oil dropping on the floor on the last 5 mile trip, I was able to get back home without issue, BUT then on re start up it pressured out oil from the joint of the top of the oil cooler and the casting it bolts to. Stopped engine immediately (oil warning light NEVER on) and I assumed the fault was the oil cooler-or its joint ? Dropped off VW Filter and the thin steel nut was undone! Decided to tighten and expected the leak to stop-NO so stopped engine quickly.
so I Bought a Hella cooler for the car and fitted all correctly with its new o ring, refitted the filter and started up. no leaks ..BUT oil light stayed ON (oil is on full on dipstick as had topped up ) Cut engine quickly!
Took off filter, and then new cooler and NO OIL HAD REACHED EITHER. Checked cooler was not blocked or faulty then as a long shot I tried on starter only briefly-leads off- to see if oil came gushing out of the feed pipe (no filter or cooler fitted)-NOTHING NO OIL !. Then bought and Fitted another Cooler [this time Topran]the next day- as a long shot-still no oil pressure on starter.I do not want to turn over the engine again without oil!
What has happened? I had oil spraying out above cooller (was this pressure too high a pressure and its a weak point?-found the cooler was hard on metal coolant pipes so could have distorted? That is why I changed cooler) Its been suggested that the genuine VW filter could be faulty (200 miles no problems aopparent) and that that this could have pushed the oil pump relief valve back and now its stuck? Also is there an anti drain valve in housing for the cooler? How do you release the pressure relief valve? I assume its in the oil pump in the sump does it need priming like a new one? and if so why?? I do not want to damage the engine!
Please ,Help please!!
Marc
0 x

Marc2018
L-Driver
Drives: Gtd.+ 16v+ 8v x2 Gti's.

Re: 8V Gti No oil pressure !! HELP!

Postby Marc2018 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:38 pm

If needed, how do I prime the oil pump?
0 x

sly_gti
VW Bug
Drives: Mk2 2.0 8v

Re: 8V Gti No oil pressure !! HELP!

Postby sly_gti » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:31 am

Oil pump is driven by the dizzy, which is driven by the intermediate shaft.
You could possibly remove the dizzy and try something by that would mess your timing up
0 x

Return to “Technical”