Starter motor or something else?

Is your car playing up? Section includes conversion advice, temperature control, ECU and ignition problems.
atlasgrey
OEM+

Starter motor or something else?

Postby atlasgrey » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:47 pm

I expect I’ll just end up having to find a mobile mechanic, but in case of any simple (and I mean simple) things to check.

Got home from Tatton park show last week, no issues either up there or the journey back, parked at home to pop in and get the key for the lock up garage, jump back in the car and it doesn’t turn over. Can hear the fuel pump prime, indicator window on the battery says it’s ok, just get a slight hum from somewhere. Have tried hitting starter motor (not too hard) with a hammer. Didn’t fix it.

Any suggestions welcome! Will have to change AA membership next year for home start!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
0 x

eddypeck
Supercharged
Drives: 1986 MK2 Golf GTI 8v

Re: Starter motor or something else?

Postby eddypeck » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:35 pm

Not sure if this is the recommended way but used to use the jack handle in my tr7 to bridge the connections on the back of the starter to kick it into life.

But yes, sounds like starter issue. New isn’t too expensive is you use a gsf or ecp discount. Not worth messing around with second hand unless you know an old boy in a shed that will recondition it, but they’re a dying breed.
0 x

sly_gti
VW Bug
Drives: Mk2 2.0 8v

Postby sly_gti » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:10 pm

If not cranking sounds like starter or battery.

Is your alternater good, it may not have been charging your battery back up
0 x

atlasgrey
OEM+

Postby atlasgrey » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:28 pm

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
0 x

Return to “Engine & Gearbox”