Removing subframe - rebushing and adding arb?

Tyres, Camber, Caster and Toe, Wheel Offsets, Power Assisted Steering questions all in here please
Megaross
OEM
Drives: 1990 MK2 Golf 1.8 GLI

Removing subframe - rebushing and adding arb?

Postby Megaross » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:55 am

So in the continuation of work on my 1.8GL I'm looking at addressing the suspension. Pretty new to car suspension as 90% of my mechanical knowledge is bike based so it's not something that translates awfully well. Rear I'm pretty confident I can master without too much puzzled tea sipping and swearing as it's pretty simple.

But I'm looking at removing the front subframe eventually in order to fully rebush the front end (I'm planning on swapping the shocks for B6's on standard springs when moneys a bit more free but I want to lay groundwork), thinking I may possibly add an ARB while it's off.

I get the general principles - jack up, remove front wheels, support engine with a bar and chains from above, undo rear engine and gearbox mounts, then underneath, remove the control arms and subframe, go for broke with the rattle gun on the subframe bolts and pray they aren't seized up so bad they shear. Drop the assembly down (preferably not on to face).

I'm unsure how the power steering rack will factor into this - possibly needs disconnecting and removing with? Can't find a good diagram but I think it's connected to the subframe. Anyone care to weigh in.

In terms of adding an ARB - will this be compatible with the GL subframe and control arms or will these need swapping for GTI units? I'll likely just get a reasonably stout aftermarket unit.

Planning on just replacing with OEM quality rubber bushings all round, had considered polys but don't want any squeaks or harsh vibrations.

It's a daily and comfort/ cruising nicely on roads is important but I also want it tight as a drum in the corners.
0 x

Monkey
Site Admin
Drives: VWs, lots of them!

Re: Removing subframe - rebushing and adding arb?

Postby Monkey » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:59 pm

Very close, but I'd do the following...
jack up, (as high as safety allows)
remove front wheels,
support engine with a bar and chains from above,
undo rear engine and gearbox mounts,
pull back steering UJ boot and undo 13mm bolt holding rack to column
undo the PAS pipes from pump and unclip them from chassis rail
remove gear shifter linkage from subframe
put jack under subframe to take the weight
undo strut top bolts and let suspension droop
undo four subframe bolts and lower jack a little
subframe should drop with jack, but still be suspended by steering column to rack, hit this with hammer until free
lower subframe/wishbone/shock assembly of in one go
0 x
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup

Mk2 BBM R32
Mk4 Anni Derv

big F
Dub Ninja
Drives: 20V & 91 Driver

Postby big F » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:24 pm

Goes without saying its a lot easier with the lump and box outta the way. But its doable as stated above. Friend of mine did it off and back on in one day.
0 x
Thanks

Big F

Megaross
OEM
Drives: 1990 MK2 Golf 1.8 GLI

Postby Megaross » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:00 am

Cheers guys, much appreciated.
0 x

eddypeck
Supercharged
Drives: 1986 MK2 Golf GTI 8v

Postby eddypeck » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:38 pm

yeah, Rob (FinalD) swapped a subframe and PAS rack in a communal car park with the engine in. It'll be in his build thread somewhere if you want to use the search.
0 x

Return to “Wheels, Suspension, Steering”