Wheel change...

Tyres, Camber, Caster and Toe, Wheel Offsets, Power Assisted Steering questions all in here please
bacardincoke
VAG Rat
Drives: 1992 MK2 8v

Wheel change...

Postby bacardincoke » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:27 pm

Done the usual checks via different on-line calculators and I think I've got my head around the following, but looking for a second opinion...

I've a set of wheels to the following spec.

(I'm not going to factor in tyre sizes just yet.)

7x15, ET25, PCD 4x100, CB 57.1 (VW)

They might be going onto a car with the following standard wheels...

5.5x14, ET45, PCD 4x108, CB 57.1 (Audi)

Obviously PCD adapters will be needed and a set I've been looking at are to the following spec...

4x108 to 4x100, CB 57.1 to 56.6. width 25mm.

For the purposes of calculating clearances, what would I be right in saying - either that the 25mm width added by using the adapters will effectively change the ET25 of the new rims to ET50 or is it the other way about and reduce it to ET0?

Also, the CB drops by 5mm, are there rings available in that size to compensate?
0 x

bacardincoke
VAG Rat

Re: Wheel change...

Postby bacardincoke » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:18 pm

Cancel the question re. spigot rings... found a set.
0 x

eddypeck
Supercharged
Drives: 1986 MK2 Golf GTI 8v

Postby eddypeck » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:33 pm

Yes I believe you’re correct with an ET25 + 25 spacer will give you ET50.

This will help you check the fitment and tyres https://www.willtheyfit.com/wheels/
1 x

T2000
OEM
Drives: 1989 MK2 8V GTI Helios

Postby T2000 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:29 pm

No it will reduce the ET to zero, ET 50 is further in the arch so ET25 sits further out, adding 25mm will reduce it to ET0 and will sit like a set of Carlos Fandango wheels.
2 x

bacardincoke
VAG Rat

Postby bacardincoke » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:14 am

I've got an itch at the moment to get something I can use... the Golfs are getting me down, having been laid up for so long.

Nobody's fault but my own, so I'm not complaining.

I'd thought of staying in the VW family so I could maybe dip into the hoard of accessories and bits I've gathered up over the years.

Unfortunately Audi's of the 80's / 90's only share so much, the wheel spec. differences being an example of what's not the same... pity.

Bill - I'm sure you saw my link in Chris's post to Martin's old 16v currently being up for sale?

That's both his and Jonny's back on the market.
0 x

T2000
OEM

Postby T2000 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:53 am

bacardincoke wrote:I've got an itch at the moment to get something I can use... the Golfs are getting me down, having been laid up for so long.

Nobody's fault but my own, so I'm not complaining.

I'd thought of staying in the VW family so I could maybe dip into the hoard of accessories and bits I've gathered up over the years.

Unfortunately Audi's of the 80's / 90's only share so much, the wheel spec. differences being an example of what's not the same... pity.

Bill - I'm sure you saw my link in Chris's post to Martin's old 16v currently being up for sale?

That's both his and Jonny's back on the market.

You on about the GTI Engineering and the Helios 16v?
0 x

bacardincoke
VAG Rat

Postby bacardincoke » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:59 am

Yup... Martin's is on the local Gumtree, Jonny's is back in GB.

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1160844
0 x

T2000
OEM

Postby T2000 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:36 pm

bacardincoke wrote:Yup... Martin's is on the local Gumtree, Jonny's is back in GB.

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1160844

That one of Jonnys has been doing the rounds was 10k at one point some chancer tried to get for it, it was sold with electric recaros I believe that were stripped out and I know this because the original interior is going in mine (which is mint), the GTI Engineering decals Jonny reproduced so are not original, it's a nice car but it ain't worth near 9 grand of anyone's money, they have replaced the interior with the correct one though, it had some rust on sills as well, Jonny said it needed a bit, I know what was paid for it as I bid on it when Jonny bought it and it has been inflated in price since and it's also a lot more than Jonny sold it for, scene tax on it is rife.

MOT history also shows it had filler in sills and still shows issues with sills, also clocked by 34,000 miles but that could have been a speedo change but still it should have been corrected, showed 165k in 2011 and shows 132k in 2019.

Edit,Just spoke to Jonny and he has said that the bonnet stickers are original but the rears aren't as he said the rear panel has been replaced in it's lifetime due to a rear ender, also the passenger sill is fooked and needs replacing, there is corrosion around the rear end,it will need a tailgate at some point due to the spoiler and rust, it was also sold with a original heckblende and black bonnet scoops which have also been removed and sold, Jonny also said that when he bought it off the previous owner who had owned it for 6 years that it had been clocked before that guy got it and there was a problem with the speedo because of it and it didn't register miles correctly so it has a lot more miles than actually was showing when Jonny sold it, he reckons when he sold it after 5 years it had 179k on it but reckons it is possibly more like 200k because of the speedo issue, the engine also needs a rebuild as it is nowhere near the 155bhp, he said it went well but realistically would need 3k spending on it to bring it up to spec.

Jonny offered the guy who is selling it 3 grand as he would have bought it back and spent 3-4k on it to bring it up to the standard it would need to be to be a 9k car, it's realistically worth no more than 4k in it's current state and the seller has been told all of this but still has it up knowing this, so buyer beware!!

Martins old car on the other hand has had a lot more spent on it than it's being sold for,I've driven that car and it's sharp, some nice bits on it but does has a few rust issues but it isn't really overpriced.
0 x

bacardincoke
VAG Rat

Postby bacardincoke » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:20 pm

I suppose when you're considering buying a car that at it's oldest is approaching 35+ years old it's inevitable most of them will have some sort of history

I have to say I was very close to ringing up about Martin's, if I didn't already have a MK2 I'd maybe be driving it by now.

How's yours coming along?
0 x

T2000
OEM

Postby T2000 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:57 pm

Yeah true most do have history but when you are paying 9k and things are being hidden when known about, to me is a bit off, if it was 3-4k then you take your chances.

Martin is doing a fine job on mine, he really is going to town on it, it's a good solid car to start on though as it's history is known by me after 20 years ownership and one previous owner, it's never been painted or welded so anything done from there will be a bonus, it's going to be a nice standard car.
0 x

Return to “Wheels, Suspension, Steering”